ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Parasitic drain

RS4, Dax Rush v8
Hi,
I am new to this forum and am trying to resolve an issue on my sons car which he only bought a couple of months ago.
The problem is the battery was flat when he came to start it the other day. He has broken his wrist and is not allowed to drive so if he had been able to use the car on a regular basis it may have hidden this problem, if it is one.
Charging the battery didn't work and although it had appeared to be ok when he bought it I think the recent cold spell may have had an effect. The voltage quickly goes to 12.8+ volts but within and hour is down to 10.5 volts. Hence we changed the battery anyway and now know that is good.
Whilst trying to establish why it wasn't holding it's charge I looked for parasitic drain and found that there was 320mA being drawn all the time. By isolating each fuse in turn we established it was F5 - 10A) AC control module, central locking, cruise control selector switch, electric window motor, rear right, ABS/ESP system, multifunction display, RH side lamps, RH tail lamps.

My problem is that I have no diagram to be able to isolate individual elements on the fuse position and am looking for any advice or experience of what to look at first. I can isolate some items by pulling wires off but others I assume I need to become a contortionist with small fingers.

All the web pages I have looked at tend to say this is excessive although the Renault agent said "it is a bit higher than normal". It seems a lot to me.
Any help appreciated.

Land Rover
A drain of 320mA will flatten a fully charged 60Ah battery in around 180 hours which is around 8 days.
So l would say it is excessive.
For instance if you left your car at the airport for a two week holiday, it wouldn’t start on your return.

RS4, Dax Rush v8
Thanks for the replies. It is the 2010 Cliosport 200 and I agree at about 3 hours per amp discharge I think it is why it wouldn't start in the first place and I don't want the new battery to suffer an early death!!
The fuse I will check again with my son but I was going by what he said in terms of the aircon being the one involved so I looked on the web for the fuse number. I will confirm that detail.

Cheers

dan's cast offs.
They have issues with fuse box getting wet and causing problems. Not sure how common this is though but worth checking.

RS4, Dax Rush v8
Checked the fuse , it is F5 and there appeares to be no water ingress. Thanks for suggestions. Will try to start eliminating over the weekend.