ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint or no Paint

Clio
Hi guys, fairly new on here just never posted before, im really unsure if to get my pearlblack mk2 ph1 front and rear bumper colour coded. Ive seen a few pics of the rear bumper panted and im not sure about it, Some part of me thinks it looks good but another part of me thinks its makes it looks worse and cheep. :dapprove:

Wont be buying any other bumper.
Has anyone got this done? how was the end result on looks? look good, look bad etc.

Mk3 1.6 Dynamique S
I think you should colour code the front definitely and I reckon it would look better if the back was done aswell, you have any pics of the car?

Clio
media.jpg
media2.jpg

I know the front bumper will look good, but im really unsure about the rear bumper :approve:

clio Mk2 P1 punto1.4
Nice, i got the same model and colour as you. You can do the side strips yourself, easy peasy, Colour coding the front and rear bumper is expensive though if you get it done professionally, and unless your a bodysprayer i wouldent recommend doing it yourself, some diy jobs can look terrible. I got a quote on mine, think it was about £120 each. Depends how deep your pockets are :)

Csp

ph1
Nice, i got the same model and colour as you. You can do the side strips yourself, easy peasy, Colour coding the front and rear bumper is expensive though if you get it done professionally, and unless your a bodysprayer i wouldent recommend doing it yourself, some diy jobs can look terrible. I got a quote on mine, think it was about £120 each. Depends how deep your pockets are :)

Thanks for the info, did you spray your side strips yourself? if so, was it easy, does the colour match when in the sun?? etc :approve:

clio Mk2 P1 punto1.4
Please dont hijack my thread CSP

Did you get your bumper and side strips done Maori-Nick or not yet? £120 dosent seem to bad i guess lol

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/member.php?60515-Maori-Nick

Lol, im gunna do the side strips myself, havent had the time yet, plus my punto needed a full service so havent had the funds either. I dont think im gunna bother with the bumpers though, i like the way they are, fitted fogs in the front and im pleased with the look at the mo.

STEALTH RAIDER
If you do any part by rattle can, there will be no orange peel in the paint whatso ever. On black cars you will notice more that it will be shinier than the rest.

Clio
Where would you people advise to get the paint from, get halfords to mix me my code up? or somewhere like, i forgot, is it autopaints and paintforyou or something? cheers

STEALTH RAIDER
have you every done a diy spray?

Yeah done quite a few mk6 zetec s's side strips when i had mine. Then when i got a fiesta st500, i was spraying the whole front and rear valances for members, lol. Halfords might already have your paint on the shelf already canned up mate. Most ive used have been a very good match apart from a few blues and greens.

Last edited:
  clio Mk2 P1 punto1.4
Halfords stock renault black but that colour you have is Pearl Black 676, same as mine. They might have it stocked but if you ask nice they might make it up for you, decided to Diy my own panels, ill post a thread when i get a spare weekend, cant be bothered with forking out £200+ for something i can do myself, just need time, preparation and patience.

STEALTH RAIDER
Will it hell look silly!! You mean you dont want to paint them as its a bigger area on show and you think you might f**k it up ;)

You need to prep these plastics properly else ill give the paint a few months and it will flake off. My advice, dont sand it much, it crap plastic and doesnt sand smooth well, even wet sanding. You need to take off some of the texture then use a high build 2k primer for this (2bh halfords stuff just dont cut it for these), after a light coating of plastic primer.

You will be either sanding for days or the paint coating will be too thick and not strong / flexible and will crack, if you use halfords stuff IMO.

I sanded mine, wet sanded down the grades and managed a perfectly smooth finish. Then primered, wet sanded, painted, lacquered. If you take your time, there is no reason not to DIY it.

Make sure the paint is the right colour. Halfords may not be the best option here, as said above, but I think I was quite lucky with the mix.

Mine last 18 months, then had a non fault bump and they were resprayed anyway by the shop.

(s)Low Dynamique
I want my front bumper, rear bumper and side strips colour coding on my black Clio as well. Only difference is, mine is a PH2. But it will, and does, look brilliant. I'm going to get mine done professionally for the extra cost though, as I don't trust myself haha.

Csp

ph1
I want my front bumper, rear bumper and side strips colour coding on my black Clio as well. Only difference is, mine is a PH2. But it will, and does, look brilliant. I'm going to get mine done professionally for the extra cost though, as I don't trust myself haha.

Have you got a quote yet?