ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pad covering the whole swept area?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all.

Was dicking around with the Volvo earlier. Some of you may remember I had real issues getting fitment right for my Wilwoods - the setup came with 2 piece rotors (see first pic), which were great apart from the fact that the hats were slightly too big, and hit the edge of the pads whilst braking. I was trying to find different discs and so on, but with largely no success. So I gave up, stuck Focus ST calipers and discs on it, and forgot all about it.

Moving on to today, I suddenly had an epiphany - the OD of the ST discs is the same as the Wilwood discs. Chucked the Wilwood caliper back on the car, and of course it fits perfectly. Great. So that means I could run discs which are easier to get, far cheaper, and it means then that I could run as aggressive as f**k pad and treat the discs as disposable, whilst having a lighter, stronger caliper.

The only issue, though, is that there's a lot of area on the inner portion of the disc that the Wilwood caliper doesn't sweep. I know most cars leave a little, but this is a lot! Would MOT/Plod etc have an issue with this if they saw it?
Photo 10-11-2015 7 35 53 pm.jpg

Photo 13-03-2018, 4 32 03 pm.jpg

Shouldn't be an issue as long as it passes the brake efficiency test. Does look a waste though but its still grabbing the same area as the 2 piece presuming they were 320mm OD same as the ST/MPS/T5 discs.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Wilwoods on a volvo? I'll admit I've never seen that before. Usually the only mods are national trust stickers.
100% necessary, I can assure you!

Shouldn't be an issue as long as it passes the brake efficiency test. Does look a waste though but its still grabbing the same area as the 2 piece presuming they were 320mm OD same as the ST/MPS/T5 discs.

The pads in the Wilwoods are a lot longer, and the clamping force is a lot higher, so it does make sense. I loved how the wilwoods felt when I had them on, it was just the fact they were constantly twatting the rotor hats. That was on the gentlest compound they do - the pads I want to run are about half as powerful again on cold bite, and will handle really silly temps before fading.

Out of interest what performance pads do you rate in the OE callipers? Got Brembo OE in mine and they are utter shite. Looking at Stoptech fast road pads.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The Volvo OE or the ST ones? I don't recommend the Volvo calipers at all, I currently run Yellowstuff in the ST ones (and they're actually still OK), but they're still not a track pad. I'd probably go for something like a DS2500 for road or for track a DS3000, something like that.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Found a photo of the original kit, the setup I bought was new unfitted, and obviously the owner had specced 2 piece rotors instead, looks like it’s the original intention to have that gap anyway.

461F1D95-E41B-4DA4-B83A-0D02C0F0A917.jpeg

dan's cast offs.
would probably be an mot fail...a braking system component inappropriately repaired or modified.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
But then I could argue that actually it’s as per the design of the system, now that I have evidence for that.

I’m not too worried now I know that’s how it’s supposed to be anyway. Wish I could run those 2 piece rotors though :(

dan's cast offs.
tester could easily argue that the design is flawed as the pad doesn't cover the full area of the disc, may never happen though.

is it just the pad backing that's touching the bell?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ground the pad backings back to the friction material and it was still knocking. It’s just way too close. I’d knock up a longer carrier to move the caliper further out, but there’s no more room behind the wheel.
7D78BE74-7AF0-4780-9CE4-71CDCFEFDE78.jpeg

dan's cast offs.
i'd either reprofile the pad edge to clear or get the bell machined to clear. looks like the radius is different on them so would probably need a small amount machining off it? pop the pins out of the pad and slide them until they touch the bell and you can at least use the distance the pin holes are out as a guide to how much needs machining off the bell, at least you'll know if it's too much to turn it down by.

have you got a pic of it dead on to see roughly how much it's interfering by?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Can’t machine the bell as the allen bolts holding the rotor on are using that bit of metal. Rotors are fucked now anyway.

Haven’t got any other pics of the clearance, about 1mm when stationary though.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
We had Wilwoods on our Aston race car, tbh they are pretty sh1t and cheap compared to something like Brembo, AP and Alcon.

Our brake set up didn't fit to good, the inner radius of the caliper didn't follow the outer radius of the disc.

Not uncommon to radius the inner edge of the pad to clear the Bell. Had to do it on Pagids with AP kit on the focus RS.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I read brakes, then Wilwood 😞

Having half the disc unused would be pointless tbh, may as well run smaller calipers with full coverage if you're going to do that.