ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

P1 172 Vs Celica T sport.

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Right some nub i know reckons his new celica will pown my 172......

i said "no lol, £100 says different"

offered track,1/4,sprint,hill climb. He chose 1/4 ( santa pod it is lol ).

anyway i've had plenty of experience with the CTS, and tbh i dont think there up to much......

i know the P1's are sharp. but i've not driven it yet although i am pretty confident.

just wondered what anyones view were? car is stripped, matched inlets + few more bits to do, decat etc.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
You'll thrash it, celica's are poop, they do a 190bhp version which is still pap.

MCS R56
Depends what version it is, 140 or 190. The 190 is of similar pace to the 172 but a modded 172 should see it off.

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
general automotive (yes) & motorsport media.

i dunno theres that many bloody forums lol.

Iceberg 172
I'd love to see him turn up with no interior, slicks and a f**k off charger hanging out the bonnet! Lol.

Those celicas can make nice cars.

clio trophy No56
Depends what version it is, 140 or 190. The 190 is of similar pace to the 172 but a modded 172 should see it off.

I thought the TSport was the 190??

Anyway a mate had a 190 a couple of years back, (till the engine blew up), and my old ff182 was quicker from start to finish, also quicker in the corners so i would imagine a ph1 172 would also be quicker.

MCS R56
I thought the TSport was the 190??

Anyway a mate had a 190 a couple of years back, (till the engine blew up), and my old ff182 was quicker from start to finish, also quicker in the corners so i would imagine a ph1 172 would also be quicker.

You may be right, I wasn't sure if the badge covered both engines.

They're not slow, it's just a gutless engine. My mate had the Corolla 190 and it had nothing until 6800rpm. Sod all torque at any revs.

Your mate must have been giving it some proper stick to blow it up! Are they not quite bulletproof, these engines?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Will be a lot closer than people are saying . There not slow and it will not be easy i have had a go in the past !!!

MCS R56
Will be a lot closer than people are saying . There not slow and it will not be easy i have had a go in the past !!!

You're right, there is not much between them in a straight line.

IMO, if the Clio makes no mistakes with the gears, it will be quicker.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
they are common for blowing engine's, my mate works for toyota and says they're crap

Iceberg 172
Most powerful NA engine yes!

It'd be interesting to see what happens if you done the same mods to the celica and stripped it out.

STD car vs moded car threads is one of my pet hates.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
True but most performance cars have some bits done to them even if its just an air filter .

Most powerful NA engine yes!

It'd be interesting to see what happens if you done the same mods to the celica and stripped it out.

STD car vs moded car threads is one of my pet hates.

Coupe/Defender V8
It won't give you any trouble, run into few locally on the way to work and seen them off. I doubt a standard Ph1 will have a problem

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
If his is stripped it will be interesting. Very underated cars, just hope he's not remapped it.

are you thinking of the older one? newest shape celica can't even be remapped without aftermarket ECU apparantly, and even then its a petrol N/A engine the gains are f**k all.

They aren't terrible cars like people are making out here, if it was a battle of build quality and lack of rattles then we know who'd be winning that one, in toe to toe straight line speed i don't personally think there'll be much in it at all, it'll be down to the driver (I have driven both)

Just FYI, the Corolla T sport is just as fast as the Celica, 0-60 times scattered around the net for the Corolla are totally wrong.

Last edited:
  Coupe/Defender V8
are you thinking of the older one? newest shape celica can't even be remapped without aftermarket ECU apparantly, and even then its a petrol N/A engine the gains are f**k all.

They aren't terrible cars like people are making out here, if it was a battle of build quality and lack of rattles then we know who'd be winning that one, in toe to toe straight line speed i don't personally think there'll be much in it at all, it'll be down to the driver (I have driven both)

Just FYI, the Corolla T sport is just as fast as the Celica, 0-60 times scattered around the net for the Corolla are totally wrong.

Good figure/comparison would be my mates old Corolla Compressor - Which is a fair bit faster than the T-Sport. The Compressor was very marginally quicker than a standard Ph1 up to three digits.

clio trophy No56
You may be right, I wasn't sure if the badge covered both engines.

They're not slow, it's just a gutless engine. My mate had the Corolla 190 and it had nothing until 6800rpm. Sod all torque at any revs.

Your mate must have been giving it some proper stick to blow it up! Are they not quite bulletproof, these engines?

A different mate had a corolla tsport also, nice cars but not as quick as RS 1*2's, not far off though, the sound was awsome though. Think the 0-60 times on them were done with a loaded car, same as they did years back with the 306 GTI6, keeps the insurance group down.

When my mates engine blew he was just pulling out of a junction at normal speeds. He had it look at by, Toyota and the AA and they all agreed the engine had been stripped before.
After a 2yrs battle back and fourth with the garage he bought it from they agreed to pay for 50% of the damage.
Toyota quoted him £9000 for a new engine and a few other bits, lol.
He bought a nearly new engine and got it done himself for £3000.

had a play with the tsport 190 a wee while ago. r27 was quicker in a straight line and round the round-abouts! to be fair, there wasn't massive amount in it, but i definately pulled away! quite nice cars though!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Depends on your Clio if it's a strong 1 you will win if it's poor who knows draw or lose. Concentrate on what your doing not him next to ya. 4k off the clutch then make sure it slips into second then your laughing.

b/g 182, meg tourer
you will be fine imo. as long as its a fairly standard one.
i have had a play with a couple of them and pulled away a lot easier than i thought.

Clio 182
I've had my 182 a week now and loving it. When I got it I found myself behind a Celica T Sport (seafront cruiser) he saw my zenons and clearly thought I was one of 'them' and tried to race me.

Having hardly spent any time in the car (I'd only picked it up that afternoon) I sat on his bumper but had to drive hard, I'm still getting used the clutch/gears etc plus I've gone from a turbo diesel so very different power bands. I'd hazzard a guess that the one I had a play wasn't standard but it certainly couldn't get away from a 182 straight-line wise.

MCS R56
I've had my 182 a week now and loving it. When I got it I found myself behind a Celica T Sport (seafront cruiser) he saw my zenons and clearly thought I was one of 'them' and tried to race me.

Having hardly spent any time in the car (I'd only picked it up that afternoon) I sat on his bumper but had to drive hard, I'm still getting used the clutch/gears etc plus I've gone from a turbo diesel so very different power bands. I'd hazzard a guess that the one I had a play wasn't standard but it certainly couldn't get away from a 182 straight-line wise.

So you were one of 'them'.

As previously said, there is sod all difference in a straight line.