ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ownership of my 197 so far

Black 197
Will bell you sunday morn about the meet, i have the day off work but i need to see what preggers wants to do first otherwise she'll have my bal*s tbh mate

There were mixed opinions when i posted the drive some saying the 172/182 is better, faster blah blah, to me the 172/182 was so boring that i didnt enjoy driving it no more and waiting for that 5k kick just to get moving was frustrating and expensive, The 197 i have however is spot on no flat spots as some mention and has a nice power curve and even at 5k and beyond it pulls nicely, The 197 gearbox is absolutely fantastic and makes shifting a pleasure, the exhaust note is spot on too - no need for a halfrauds special to make it look better and sound nicer, I personally didnt get climate control with my 197 but i never used it anyways in the 182 so AC will suffice, Some buy CC for that fancy screen but to me its just a gimick - cant beat warm air / cold air or window down job done and less likely something will go wrong. I'm not worried about future resale as this car will have to do me a while anyway....

People say the 197 doesnt feel as quick as a 172/182 but thats due to it being bigger but it is make no mistake.... All this i raced a 197 and raped it - 1 word " Boll*cks " is all i have to say on that... A standard 172/182 is not going to rape a standard 197 i've owned both now and i cant see it happening tbh..
Love the bit about the nice power curve and beyond it pulls nicely - LOL

Then the bit about why you do not need climate!!!!

And then, less to go wrong - LOL

Dear oh dear - its a good car, don't need to make things up!!!! LOL

Turbo LY R27
i really really want one only thing is my car is only really a weekend car for going out blasts with the boys in the summer and it spends most of its time in tripple figures speeds chasing other cars so the front end takes a hammering, tyres and brakes are constantly needing replaced and im not sure i can have as much fun getting my new car all stone chipped and replacing 17" tyres and brembo brakes! lol

My brakes are on 31k and i haven't changed them once. Its never been tracked ill admit, bit it has been given some real stick, def did last summer. Tyes wear, but no worse than any other RS.

As for stone chips, just make sure your in front lol!;)

BMW 320d M-Sport
Glad you're enjoying the car. Had mine 7 1/2 months now and absolutely love it - people look and wonder what it is, it has good road presence, drives lovely and feels quite solid. You've bought a great car, only thing I'm unsure of is the Cup spoiler without the rest of the carbon pieces, but it is growing on me slowly.

Once again, enjoy!

Clio 197 08
Lmao, na mate just seems to be a very busy month this month! South Mimms this Sunday and Herts/Essex meet next Sunday! That will do for now!

Black 197
Glad you're enjoying the car. Had mine 7 1/2 months now and absolutely love it - people look and wonder what it is, it has good road presence, drives lovely and feels quite solid. You've bought a great car, only thing I'm unsure of is the Cup spoiler without the rest of the carbon pieces, but it is growing on me slowly.

Once again, enjoy!

Dont worry the skirts and splitter will be added very soon, Got a baby on the way so cant go mad but need to be discrete in the £££££ department too lol

Black 197
Lmao, na mate just seems to be a very busy month this month! South Mimms this Sunday and Herts/Essex meet next Sunday! That will do for now!

You sure your meeting for cars or is it a place for dogging ????

Dogging im all in pmsl

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
197 is a much better car, FACT.

The brakes, the suspension, the build.... Its all better than the 182.

Pretty confident not so long ago when the 182 came out, all the 172 owners who went to the 182 were chanting this same noise.

Should be intresting to see how so much super dooper'erer (sp) the Clio 200 will be

:rolleyes:

Clio 197 08
Nice one mate! As said, let us know! Enjoy your evening mate! Dont go tearing around croydon to much! ;)

a 197
just collected my ex demo 197 cup today and its bril, i've had a 172 and a 182 and so far like the 197 more. drove it the 30 miles home and at a steady 70-80 got 45 mpg which having owned a corsa vxr averaging 29 on the motorway is amazing !
melanie

Cooksport Fleet
Im jealous rossy, Still remember when u rang me on ur way to ktec on the side of the road minus ur undertray.

Glad u like it mate!

Black 197
Im good... Well sorta... just split from my gf tonight so feel a bit crap but life goes on lol... Gonna go to the south mimms meet with the 197 tomorrow and im looking forward to it tbh, hows your 182 ?

Cooksport Fleet
Ahh tough times, sorry to hear that mate. 197 meet FTW :)

The 182 is still plodding along! Im thinkinking Cams and ITBs next :)

Im off now mate, but send me a text let me know how this meet goes!!

Speak Soon

182 Trophy
i can see where your coming from with what you have said and congrats on the 197 too mate

my dad had a white 197 cup and i must say it looked stunning, the problems lied in the driving, the box is way too short if you ever want to go on a long journey as motorway drives = headache, the mpg is absalutey awfull and we couldnt get the 197 above 29 no matter how slow and high geared we drove, so people saying they get high 30s are talking shizer,
my dad got sick of it and for the money it cost it wasnt worth keeping, hes just collected his 55plate 182 today which cost half the price and is allready proving to be a much nicer car to own/drive for him
torque wise the 182 has it in bags compared with the 197, the power is all over the rev range and not only at 7k unlike the 197
it all comes down to 'different strokes', but imho the 197 would have suited a 1600 turbo lump better, as the mpg and driveability would have been way better, low down torque etc. i think renault have realy messed up with adding so much more weight for little extra power

i do still love both, bhp per tonne is better in the 182 yet the 197 handels better

im loving the understated look of the 182 a lot more allready.
is the 197 worth double the price of the 182 is the question

clio 172 cup
i can see where your coming from with what you have said and congrats on the 197 too mate

my dad had a white 197 cup and i must say it looked stunning, the problems lied in the driving, the box is way too short if you ever want to go on a long journey as motorway drives = headache, the mpg is absalutey awfull and we couldnt get the 197 above 29 no matter how slow and high geared we drove, so people saying they get high 30s are talking shizer,
my dad got sick of it and for the money it cost it wasnt worth keeping, hes just collected his 55plate 182 today which cost half the price and is allready proving to be a much nicer car to own/drive for him
torque wise the 182 has it in bags compared with the 197, the power is all over the rev range and not only at 7k unlike the 197
it all comes down to 'different strokes', but imho the 197 would have suited a 1600 turbo lump better, as the mpg and driveability would have been way better, low down torque etc. i think renault have realy messed up with adding so much more weight for little extra power

i do still love both, bhp per tonne is better in the 182 yet the 197 handels better

+1

MCS R56
I had a drive in a 197 before buying the BMW. I was impressed, mostly by the improvement in quality but also the overall feel - like everything had been tightened up. I didn't get a chance to boot it as it was very busy on the roads but first impressions; it was nice.

Compared to the 172 Cup, which I owned at the time, I felt it was too 'safe' and grown up for my liking. The Cup was just so raw and special that I actually thought I might just keep it. I then thought about it a bit more and decided that there were not really any new hot hatches out there that had the same old-school buzz about them, that safety had taken over in terms of weight etc.

I also tried a Megane R26 which I liked but thought, if I'm looking at this size of car and price, I might as well see what else is out there...

...and hello 330ci! Okay, it's bigger but you get sooooo much more for your money. 30mpg, an awesome engine and even better build quality. RWD too!

So in a way, the 197 kind of put me off hot hatches. I don't feel like it would have given me the buzz I got from the Cup, so it was time to try something new. I do think they look fantastic though and I wish I'd had more time to try it but it was a bit of a sad day tbh.

All I can say now is, I will not be looking at French cars for a while.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

Gaz

White clique
good to hear your write up rossy, and nice to hear that your owner experience has lived up to your excitement and anticipation. The additional 7k i paid for my 197 when i traded in my 182 1 year ago has been well worth it and i dont miss the 182 at all.

I think the whole "grown up" comments around 197 ownership is where the 197 divides opinion. The 182 and 172 shape clios are 8 years old now (172 51 plates), and expectations of refinement, build quality etc have moved on loads since then. Some will still appreciate the rawness of the 182 and 172 (which i translate to lack of refinement and inferior build quality - no escaping this), but those owners who look for a bit more than an old school hot hatch cannot fail to see the appeal of the 197. It delivers a huge amount at a very competitive price.

I can also see where gaz is coming from, my 197 will be gone by the weekend as i too will be trading to a 3.0 BMW, but as there is no fair comparision to be made between the 2, i still believe in the hot hatch category the 197 offers the best all round package (including value for money against a mini cooper works for example).

MCS R56
good to hear your write up rossy, and nice to hear that your owner experience has lived up to your excitement and anticipation. The additional 7k i paid for my 197 when i traded in my 182 1 year ago has been well worth it and i dont miss the 182 at all.

I think the whole "grown up" comments around 197 ownership is where the 197 divides opinion. The 182 and 172 shape clios are 8 years old now (172 51 plates), and expectations of refinement, build quality etc have moved on loads since then. Some will still appreciate the rawness of the 182 and 172 (which i translate to lack of refinement and inferior build quality - no escaping this), but those owners who look for a bit more than an old school hot hatch cannot fail to see the appeal of the 197. It delivers a huge amount at a very competitive price.

I can also see where gaz is coming from, my 197 will be gone by the weekend as i too will be trading to a 3.0 BMW, but as there is no fair comparision to be made between the 2, i still believe in the hot hatch category the 197 offers the best all round package (including value for money against a mini cooper works for example).

What BMW you going for?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

Good write up.

Be a little more time before you can objectively compare mind - a day isn't enough.

BMW 320d M-Sport
I like the rarity of the 197 to be honest. I rarely see any near me which I think is great. Only time I see any is at a meet and even then there may not be any.

MCS R56
its a Z4 coupe 3.0si sport auto - pics and thread to follow in a week or so!

Sweet! You'll love the engine - I'm sure you've already tried it. I'm not a fan of the auto but the smooth power delivery is quality! It never feels like it's trying.

Switching from the Clio to this is such a difference.

MCS R56
I like the rarity of the 197 to be honest. I rarely see any near me which I think is great. Only time I see any is at a meet and even then there may not be any.

Not so where I live. Seems there are loads kicking about.