ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Over revs when started then cuts out

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
Right lads, got a serious problem the car broke down last night....I was sitting in traffic and when I was pulling away there was a loud clunk from the engine bay then it stalled. When I restarted the engine it revved up to aroud 5000 rpm by it self and then the revs dropped right to the bottom of the dial and the needle was jumping up and down slightly, managed to get the car moving but realised the breaks werent working at all and the steering was really heavy...heavier than when the engine is off! Worst of all the my mechanic cant take it in until monday or tuesday.

Has this happend to anyone else?
really stumped by this one lads, any advice we would really appreciated!

Cheers

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
just got the car back there now, it was the air box and throttle body they're weren't sitting on the engine properly...couple bolts of the air box snapped which was the clunch noise. so all sorted :D