ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

outer CV boot guide please

Not a poxy Renault
The 182 has just failed its first MOT on lower ball joints and a split (1mm!) outer CV gaitor - nearside.
I've never changed a gaitor before so could someone do me a quick talk through please?

Not a poxy Renault
Ball joints now replaced - £10 each from local motor factors :). Really need some pointers for the gaitor though!

BMW M135i
Which side? Pretty simple either way, passenger side and you'll need to replace the gearbox oil. Basically you need the shaft out so you can change the gaitor on it.

Should've done it the same time as the balljoints as it'd be easy peasy to get the shaft(s) out.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
apparently you can do it without changing the gear box oil, as at 11£ a litre and needs 4 litres.. bit expensive

BMW M135i
No way to do it if you need to take the passenger side shaft out as it'll drop all the gearbox oil as soon as you undo the shaft seal/inner gaitor from the box to get the shaft out. Drivers side is fine, don't need to worry about the oil.

Not a poxy Renault
the passenger side ball joint is only loosly fitted at the mo, I was waiting for some pointers before putting it back together. So i have to remove the entire shaft, even though I only have to change the outer boot?

BMW M135i
Yep as you need to feed to boot on from one end as there isn't a split in it. You'll need some new gearbox oil as well then if its a passenger side. You'll have fun refilling that.

BMW M135i
If it'll strech over then yes, as long as your careful and don't pull the shaft out the gearbox you'll get away with it.

Not a poxy Renault
Ah well, I've just been qouted £50 to have it fitted so I'm going for that option. Something will go wrong if I do it (loosing gearbox oil etc) and it will probably end up costing me more! I've saved a few qiud by doing both ball joints for only £20 and the MOT was only £25 with the retest free.
One more question, they reckon that the tracking needs doing after everything has been apart, it won't do any harm really, I've never had it checked. But is it really necessary?

Clio's
if the tracking was fine before you started and you dont move the track rod ends from their position then it should go back as it was before you started