ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

original cambelts are good fo 70k...

i spoke to a renault mechanic (main dealer) ...and he told me that "the original belts are good for 70k...but for peace of mind, one should adhere to the 72k/5 year rule"...

he also owns a 182...and has only ever seen 4 vehicles (172/182, sub 40K) with snapped cambelts in the 10 years that he has been working with them...

www.renparts.co.uk
hes seen so few because people have half a brain and don't take it to a main dealer for repair.. Unless they like it dry..

ph quick
i dont get it, they are good for 70k, but you should adhere to the 72k 5year rule? 172's havent been around for ten years?

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
lol, none of what has been said adds up, like said, 172 arnt ten years old, there good for 70k but change around 72k

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
My 172 is coming up to 4 years old. The dealer is arguing that with the aux belt due for replacement at 4 years and the cam belt at 5 years its cheaper for me to get them both done at the same time. But I've only clocked up 28,000 miles. I't be another 4 years, and the time another aux belt replacement was due, before I get anywhere near 72,000 miles.

So should I do what the dealer advises and get both belts done, or just do the aux belt and put off getting the cam belt done for some (far) future time?

I don't thrash it. It rarely goes anywhere maximum revs. And the weather here is "mediterranean" - mild (never goes below freezing) in winter and bloody hot in summer.

www.renparts.co.uk
My 172 is coming up to 4 years old. The dealer is arguing that with the aux belt due for replacement at 4 years and the cam belt at 5 years its cheaper for me to get them both done at the same time. But I've only clocked up 28,000 miles. I't be another 4 years, and the time another aux belt replacement was due, before I get anywhere near 72,000 miles.

So should I do what the dealer advises and get both belts done, or just do the aux belt and put off getting the cam belt done for some (far) future time?

I don't thrash it. It rarely goes anywhere maximum revs. And the weather here is "mediterranean" - mild (never goes below freezing) in winter and bloody hot in summer.

Get the Cambelt done. It doesn't seem to be mileage that effects them. Many low mileage 4 year ones have snapped.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP

I don't thrash it. It rarely goes anywhere maximum revs. And the weather here is "mediterranean" - mild (never goes below freezing) in winter and bloody hot in summer.[/quote

Had my 52 plate done in May this year and that had only done 32k at the time.

Decided it was'nt worth the risk.

Both belts + service £500

lol, none of what has been said adds up, like said, 172 arnt ten years old, there good for 70k but change around 72k

what i wrote makes perfect sense...

1. the guy has been working with clios for 10 years...

2. i am perfectly aware that 172 have not been around for ten years...but cam-belts have...you dumb ass...

3. the belts are good for 70k +...but it is best to follow renaults rules incase of a warranty dispute...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
in my experience ive found 172 belts to be good and last to the interval. The only cambelt failures ive seen have been caused by the aux belt shredding and going into the cambelt. Having said that im going to do mine soon (around 60k)

LY 182

what i wrote makes perfect sense...

1. the guy has been working with clios for 10 years...

2. i am perfectly aware that 172 have not been around for ten years...but cam-belts have...you dumb ass...

3. the belts are good for 70k +...but it is best to follow renaults rules incase of a warranty dispute...
the last bit still makes no sence.
he thinks they are good for 70k but just incase change it at 72k????
if you said he thinks they are good for 72k+ but always change at 72 to be safe it would make sence..

Iceberg 172

Gordon, I've been thinking the same.... Mine's done 35k so the auxiliary belt is all but due, but it'll also be 5yrs old come next Sept when the cambelt needs to be done too (nevermind the fact I'll only have 40-sth k miles on the clock). I might get both done at once soon, then it's set for another 3-4yrs risk free, and will be cheaper in the long run.

Mmmm. One person says he's seen lots of cam belts fail, and fail at relatively low mileages. Others say they last a good mileage, and the only ones they've seen fail are when the aux belt fails.

Mondeo TDCI 130
I have seen my fair share! on the renault range at as little as 40K, meganes, clios, lagunas! and other models such like! its not always the belt, sometimes tensioners etc!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
i had mine changed at 38k and four years old and one of the plastic pulleys had a number of hairline cracks in it!

take note.

Mondeo TDCI 130
SBV - what's your experience of aux belts failing before 36k and between 36 & 72k?

Only ever seen one aux belt fail, on a megane. i have had then with pulleys whining etc, but always replaced then before anyy real harm was caused!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yes, you ;)

tee hee hee!!!!

I changed the alternator on my sisters fiesta once, am i qualified?

Reading various peoples' experience of belt failures I'm reminded of the old story about the blind men who were asked what an elephant was like. The one at the elephant's trunk said an elephant was like a snake. The one at the ear said an elephant was like a fan. The one at the leg said an elephant was like a tree. The one at the tail said an elephant was like a rope. And the one behind the tail says an elephant was soft and mushy.

(Then there's the story about the three blind elephants who were asked what a man was like. The first one feels him with its foot and said a man is flat.The other two touch him and agree.)

Iceberg 172
Only ever seen one aux belt fail, on a megane. i have had then with pulleys whining etc, but always replaced then before anyy real harm was caused!!

Oh good, so I shouldn't be worrying unduly about mine at 35k as long as I get it done soon....?

A4 oil burner !!!
I had my aux belt done under warranty at about 32k then i had my cambelt done at 40k about 3mths ago when i replaced my cams. If your going to keep the car for a few years then get the belt changed sooner rather then later.
Had mine done at AWT and Ben found one of the original pulleys had been attacked with some mole grips or similar so had to get a new pulley also. (not sure which one though) I bought my cup from a renault main dealer when it was only 4 months old so obviously had no history of a cam belt change etc.
So how did the pulley get damaged ??????????????
I know it wasnt from Ben et al @ AWT

Im amazed so mnay people are happy to leave the belts that long with no warently covering them if it all goes wrong.

60k or 4 years whatevers sooner and 36k for the aux belt on a 172/182 minimum IMO unless you've a good warently.

You'll only be gald you follow more stringent service rules when it all goes wrong and face the bill for whats near enough a new engine fitting.

172cup
i've driven my little car 'properly' for 5 years... all the way to 73k before changing the cambelt. had no problems up to then, and had no worries about it going as it had ran like a dream up to that point.

it was once i had it changed it all went a bit pear shaped!