ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinion from guys who tracked an owned 182 AND 197

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
Hi there,
so I'm really having a hard time decidining what car to get as next trackday car. A bit of history on myself. I tracked quite some different cars for the last 10 years or so. 1st Track car, a Toyota AE86, than switched to an Evo 5, then an Evo 6 RS. After 4 years of Evo ownership I decided they are fcking fast but also boring do drive. So I went and bought a 1970 Alfa Romeo for Trackdays wich I abused the last 2 years on track. But I now feel the urge to change again. Got some different cars in my head, and a Clio (182 or 197) is quite on top of the list.

But here is the problem already, what car to go for. I like the shape, weight and some other things on the 182 but prefer the interior and public road feel in the 197. Drove em both on the road, but that's no reference to tracking a car.
I'm aware 182 are cheaper, tires and brakes will be cheaper,... But that shouldn't really put me towards the older model.

So what are your opinions? People who tracked both, what are the differences on track? How do they drive head to head? It's not just about laptimes! I think the size of the smile on your face is more important. What is more involving to drive...?
Thx in advance

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not sure if you want my opinion as I've only properly tracked a 197. I've had a go of a 172 on track but that wasn't mine so I didn't go hell for leather.

They weigh more than the mk2, but I don't notice it once it's moving. The flatspot is a pain in the Arse when first pulling off but again, it doesn't affect the car when moving.

They're hilariously maneuverable when you want them to be. I spend the morning at Anglesey drifting around the corners in the pissing rain because there wasn't enough grip to go fast.

But once it dried up, It was planted as hell and as adjustable as you'd like. Left foot braking around the long sweeping corners to keep the front end from running wide and bringing the Arse around on the tighter turns.

I spent a bit of time chasing 182s and fiesta sts as well. The 197 seemed to catch them no problem but I don't know how hard the 182s were being driven. I was pushing my friend around in his 350z but to be fair to him it was his first track day.

Where are you based?

330i. E30 Touring.
1*2, every time.

Mainly for parts/ upgrade availability, ease of working on them. Price of spares and tyres, fuel economy etc.

oh, and the gearbox won't fall apart in 30 seconds if you're not ham fisted and rush it.

Be mental to go for a later one when the 1*2 is so good as a track car,

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Apart from the cup racers I can't say I've ever noticed a really quick 197 on track, obviously there will be. id still pick a 182 as fuel costs would be cheaper to get there if nothing else lol

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
Most importantly pics are required of the Toyota, Alfa and 240Z. 'tis the law.
And how do you know about my 240Z? Where did I mention that?
they are on my "say hello thread" but here you go:
01-excars-e1474143647941.jpg

wpid-wp-1447139881060.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, yeah. That's where I saw it.

Mk2 to answer your question though. Just leave the interior in it, and run something like Cooksport springs rather than coilovers.

As above never come across a 197 that couldn't be despatched easily enough on track. As you mentioned the 197 is heavier and even with the extra grunt will not be any quicker than the 1*2. The 197 will however feel better on the road as the 1*2 is awful IMO. How many track days would you do a year? If under 5 I'd say go with a 197 as it would be more civilised as a daily.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've used 172/182 and a 200 on track loads. Older car every time. Quicker, lighter, more fun, cheaper, more robust.

If you want something with better road manners, an r26 is worth the extra.

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
As above never come across a 197 that couldn't be despatched easily enough on track. As you mentioned the 197 is heavier and even with the extra grunt will not be any quicker than the 1*2. The 197 will however feel better on the road as the 1*2 is awful IMO. How many track days would you do a year? If under 5 I'd say go with a 197 as it would be more civilised as a daily.
The clio will ONLY be used for trackdays and for the trip to the tracks and home. Will mostly be driven @Spa-Francorchamps. Some Nurburgring, a bit of Dijon... so all quite fast tracks

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

The clio will ONLY be used for trackdays and for the trip to the tracks and home. Will mostly be driven @Spa-Francorchamps. Some Nurburgring, a bit of Dijon... so all quite fast tracks

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Exactly how i use my 182 and put money aside and no chance I'd swap it for a 197.

BG Clio 182
Got to be honest I really don't see the 197 as competition on track or road. I've driven both hard and the 182 is much quicker and more responsive. The 197 has 6 gears, more livable daily. Mpg isn't anywhere near as good as a 182 though, I also prefer the clutch and steering on the 182. The 197 feels very heavy and sluggish off the mark

Kelv has/had a 182 track car.

Stripped it down to a shell and sold all the parts off it. Bought a R27 to replace it. started to strip it fit seats etc, took it to the ring. Realised it was crap.

it then sat for months with no use until it was sold.

182 has since been built back up.

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
Thanx for all the opinions guys. So my first thought seems to be right. The 182 will be the way to go.
Will just have to find a good one on this side of the channel :)

16v UK Cup Race Car
I have both and have tracked both extensively.

197 has much better brakes and I always catch my mates in their 172's under hard braking.

197 agility through corners is better.

172/182 more raw, more engaging (not to say the 197 isn't engaging, but I didn't find it quite the same)

172/182 cheaper for everything.

I think it makes a better car if dedicated to the track, but if using on road as well tgen 197 is much better.

I'm guessing value for money a 182 would beat a 197 no problem - if were say going to buy a 197 at 4k, buying a 182 at 2k and putting 2k worth of mods into it would leave the 197 no problems

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
Gave myself a budget of roughly 10-12k for the car and the mods before the firtst trackday in 2017. So both models are in budget.
Main reason why I started the thread is to claridy wich base I should go with 182/197.
To not only find the faster of both but also the more involving/thrilling car to drive

£10-12K budget and your looking at Clio's? If you really want a CS then just get something already built, I low boost track prepared 1*2 would be ideal and in the right hand not much would trouble it on track, the trade-off it probably wouldn't be all that compliant on the road.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Owned and tracked a 200 and a 172.
I would rather track the 200. However, I now own a 182 track car, purely as its so much cheaper by comparison.

Money no object = 197/200
Real world = 1*2

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
£10-12K budget and your looking at Clio's? If you really want a CS then just get something already built, I low boost track prepared 1*2 would be ideal and in the right hand not much would trouble it on track, the trade-off it probably wouldn't be all that compliant on the road.
That kind of budget is so easily spent on a built.
Car, cage, limited slip diff, brakes and calipers, buckets, h.a.n.s. compliant harnesses, good coilovers, lightweight wheels, proper semis, bushings, arb, ...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I did 125k miles from new in my 172 Cup, and 24k miles in my 200. Both of them on road and track...and the mileage I covered in both kind of tells you my answer to your original question.

Given the option of one or the other (if I had somewhere to store and maintain it) it would be the 172 Cup every time. The 200 is fun, fast, composed, mobile, everything you want if fun is your main criteria, however;

The 200 gives you fun.
The 172 Cup gives you fun+.

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
100% buy a car already done/nearly done if that's your plan.
Nope. Not really.
Nothing beats a stock car and then build it yourself.
Found so much dodgy s**t on cars that where "done" by previous owners or so called professionals :-( My first Evo 5 had so many questionable things done to it, shocking!
I would be ok if I find a car with good coilovers or a cage.
There might be "done right" cars out there, but there are only very few.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Much prefer to track and autosolo my 182 - its quicker and feels better but this partly because its more modded than my 197 (which is standard), where as the 182 has 15" track tyres and coilovers. Day to day the extra features on the 197 make it nicer, but if I had to choose to have just 1, it would be the 182.

Albi Blue 197
With that budget, 197 every time!
Spend the money doing it yourself and enjoy the build.

I've done a lot in a 197 and an 182 and the 197 platform I find far superior.

Had no problems in my 197 pushing highly specced 182s out the way.
Don't want to annoy anyone just telling the truth.

Clio 182 FF BG
I've used 172/182 and a 200 on track loads. Older car every time. Quicker, lighter, more fun, cheaper, more robust.

If you want something with better road manners, an r26 is worth the extra.
Totally agree with this. 182 all day if buying guide a clio. I've had both 197 and 182, bought the 197 in Feb that has been sold on to make way for a 182. I must admit to liking the appearance of the 197 over that of the 182.
My megane r26 was awesome! I only sold when I lost my job and looked at clio's as a fast cheaper alternative to free up some cash.

Clio RS, Datsun 240Z
Just wanted to share the outcome of this story. I ended up buying neither of both. I ended up buying a 200 (lol) in racing blue with rebuilt gearbox and some other minor things from germany.

486faaf2849f44d4fba9537b6af01906.jpg

Next step, getting it registered in my country.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Just a bump on this as I've been using my 197 as a daily for past few months as 182 had a drive failure on way home CSF16. I've just fixed the 182 and took it out today. the 182s huge positive differences are in feel and connection, both gears, steering and generally. Only negative is the seat height which never felt too bad, but after being in 197 longterm makes it so noticeable and so horrible! Lowered seat for 182 will follow before too long!