ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oops, I've lost my backbox

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Standard PH2 172,
I was out for a drive around Crieff area yesterday. During a jaunt down one of the many singletrack roads I heard the slightest wee thump and the exhaust note got a LOT louder.
As I knew there was a local garage nearby and nowhere to stop I just plodded on until I got to them. Quick look under the car and "you've got no backbox mister".

Shite!
Ok, its snapped off just at the BB weld, shouldn't affect driveability so went out to look for it. Nae luck!

I have a theory, I don't mind the car being loud. Just ideally not obscenely.
Could I get away with having a silencer and a bit of straight pipe welded on in place of a backbox?
Will it be horrible to drive?

Any other advice for getting a replacement or repair?

Also, There is at least 1 clio owner that lives in the general area, Muthill. If you find a backbox then please if its in salvageable condition contact me.

Cheers.

Dave

These stories always make me chuckle.
Was there absolutely nowhere to stop? Is the car de-catted as well?
Running without a backbox won't damage the engine but it'll damage your hearing and street cred though.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Due to the excessive snow/ice I couldn't find a safe place. Quite steep and twisty roads.
The car is not de-catted and it still has a centre silencer.
What about my extra silencer and piping the rest? Will it be too loud?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Can anyone offer advice on this.

Lost backbox and looking to have an additional silencer then straight pipe the rest.

Will it be horrible?

Listerine & Poledo
Ha!
Good ol' 172 backboxes.
Unless you're going to get some sort of aftermarket job, I'd just recommend getting a generic pattern exhaust replacement. A clio only gets louder, the noise never gets any nicer....well, not from the exhaust end anyway

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
The issue for me at the moment is cost.
I think we will go for the extra silencer and then straight pipe. I know it will be loud but I just hope its not too boomy. At least if it doenst work I can just lop it back off and get a new cat back.

Listerine & Poledo
The issue for me at the moment is cost.
I think we will go for the extra silencer and then straight pipe. I know it will be loud but I just hope its not too boomy. At least if it doenst work I can just lop it back off and get a new cat back.
It will be, and then you'll have wasted money on the silencer and straight pipe.
But it's your car, so you decide :smile:

EDIT: Open cone FTheatsoakdropinpower ;)

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Gonna bodge it just to see me through. As long as its not quite as loud as it is just now then ill be happy.

also, the filter is tucked up behind the headlight. not much in the way of heatsoak there.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Its nothing to do with affordability now that I am aware what sort of prices the pattern parts are.

£51 for a replacement and clamp. Both of which I have already fitted.

Dingbro to the rescue.

Cheers for the helpful responses