ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

only Starts 2nd time.

172 Cup
anyone else having this problem? recently my car has been failing to start 1st time, it does but dies (like its half fired up) turn the ignition a 2nd time and it starts fine?

Just curious.

Yes, I had that problem. The Renault garage never managed to sort it out (this included changing the TDC sensor which is probably the first thing the garage would think of looking at). Reading the threads in various forums the problem may have been down to the immobiliser.

When I had that problem it always occurred when the car was left for more than 12 hours (so cold starting), and would occur maybe once a week.

It seems to have gone away since I remapped using rs tuner (and thereby upgrading from ECU software version 8100 to 8200).

Clio 172
Yep I have this too, leave it over night and I have to go iginition stage 1, then off then I can start fine.

MCS R56
This may be a silly idea but could it be to with the weather, as mine is okay normally but has started doing this now. Maybe moisture in the air or something??

Has anyone fixed this I know it's old thread but mine is doing itband not a clue wat it is I changed tdc sensor still same thanks

BMW 330cd
Mine has the same problem, I know what's up with mine. For some reason the fuel pump only primes second time of turning the key.

BG182®
I get this every now and then. I have to blip the trottle to keep the revs up if I want it to start first time. Like others have said it only happens when I've left the car over night but sometimes it won't happen for weeks.

SG9 Forester STi
I've got the same thing. Lazy FPR was my issue. Try priming the pump twice and then it should start straight away.

Not sure if it's because mines stripped but you can hear the fuel pump the second time you put the ignition on and then it'll fire up fine. :approve:

Do you get the weird flat spot like issue when you do first drive it and some pops for about a min then it stops and drives fine?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Mine use to do this but hasn't for a while but when it does do it, priming the fuel pump twice does the trick.

Ignition on let lights go out, turn it off, ignition on let lights go out then start,
works every time for me and lots of others on here, as said above.:)

Right I sealed my coil pack and changed my plugs Thursday and as skint I put a tenners worth of shell normal unleaded and she started fine Friday and sat morn then on sat I filled up with my usual telco momentum 99 and bang this morning it did the start thing again what fuel are you lot using?

Clio Cup
I get this sometimes when i try to start it before the immobiliser light goes out .... try waiting after you turn ignition on ?

ITB'd MK1
it's down to a lazy fuel pressure regulator. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, then off again, then on and start the car. it will 100% start first time

phase 2 clio 172
it's down to a lazy fuel pressure regulator. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, then off again, then on and start the car. it will 100% start first time

How do you fix the lazy fuel pressure regulator? or can you replace it easily? Also craig2703 how do you mean sealed your coil pack? ... :(

ITB'd MK1
on a car with a single fuel line to the rail, the regulator is in the tank. It's integral to the fuel pump assembly, so that needs pulling out to change the regulator

340i

THIS.

My GF's 172 never starts first time.. unless you prime the pump, ignition off, then on again!

phase 2 clio 172
I meant swapped my coil pack Renault should reallyknow how to fix thisproblem anyone? Are you sure the frpis in the tank?

Ah I see. is a shame sounded promising:( will have to keep trying things. Do you think replacing the fuel pressure regulator would fix this? since mine had begun doing the starting problems it also has a slight stutter at around 5000 rpm? like a slight hesitation but goes as i rev passed 5000. could these be related? :)

Clio 172 ph2
I am having the same problem but only when the temperatures are bellow 0 degrees , more exactly bellow -5 degrees . Starts perfect , then dies or idles bad and dies .Start again works perfect . Did the same thing with the ignition on and off and on again , same problem happened.Also the car when it is cold runs bad,a lot of flat spots ,very ugly feeling . The problem with the cold runs has been solved after the fastchip remap , but the other problem with the start and die I will have let you know when the winter comes :)) .Also the fastchip remap increased the idle from 800 to 900-950 or something like that so the car idles better after the remap .