ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

On someone elses insurance....

If im a named driver on my dads insurance, can i get some NCB? i was just wondering, as eve though you dont have any insurance in your name, youre still insured and driving, so as long as no claims are made, do you get a bonus?

i.e im on my dads for 2 years, then get my own, would i get 2 years no claims?

No you wont....otherwise everyone would do it. You have to be the policyholder to get no claims. The only exception sometimes can be if youve driven on a company car policy - some companies will credit you with no claims in that case. I highly highly doubt youll find anyone who will give you no claims for it not being your own policy.

I wouldnt advise it - I did it when I was 17, and yes, I was able to drive a car that was much better than all of my friends. Problem comes when you have to get your own, and everyone else pays half what you do because of their accrued NCD.

Things may have changed in the last 6 years though!

I would get your own if i was you. I did when i got my car and will have 3years no claims just after i turn 20 and nearly all of my mates are on thier parents so have none. Now im going to get a VTS and pay just over what they will be paying on their sh*tty 1.3 fiestas and alike.

At the end of the day it pays off in the long run.

thanks for the advice, i was comparing prices however.

based around the sum of £1400 for a 1.4 rt:

on my dads, would be £450

in 2 years with NO NCD would be £1000

in 2 year without NCD would be £900.

seems to pay off?

Do whatever you like, but Ive done what you are planning and my insurance has only just settled down at 23 as a result of sponging off my parents policy for my first couple of years driving. 2 years NCD is usually worth a sight more than £100 in premium reduction. Id check it out a bit more if I were you.

Plus you have to remember that if its your car and you are insuring in your dads name, that its illegal, and if they found out, it would invalidate your policy

One my first year with no ncd itwas £1400 and this year with 1 year ncd it has gone down to £830. So yes I think in the long run it does pay off.

Do pass plus it knocks quite a bit off your insurance. When I did it 3 1/2 yrs ago it took around £400 off my insurance! Apparently some insurers count it as 1 yrs ncb so discount you accordingly.

Personally i dont think NCB make much of a difference when you get in your late 20s. I have two cars so i chop and change policies depending on what im driving most. When i change from one policy with 4 years no claims to one with 1 years no claims it makes about £30 to 100 quids difference depending on the car. I think the biggest factor in policy price is points on ur license and age.

I know ppl in there 30s who have no NCB and have insured performance cars quite reasonably. None had points.

Quote: Originally posted by dudelove on 21 July 2003

thanks for the advice, i was comparing prices however.

based around the sum of £1400 for a 1.4 rt:

on my dads, would be £450

in 2 years with NO NCD would be £1000

in 2 year without NCD would be £900.

seems to pay off?
you would get more of a discount than that with 2 years...........

If not go elsewhere!

A friend was 29 and had no NCB and insured a 106 GTi for £700 par example. So if your gonna stay on your dads policy and it doesnt cost u anything id just carry on. Probably save you money long term.

Quote: Originally posted by nickyb121 on 21 July 2003

I have 6 points for speeding and it makes no difference to my premium!
LOL. Lucky you. I know plenty of ppl who are stung cos of points. I know someone who pays £700 for a 1.8 golf because he has 9 or 10 points and thats 3rd party only and hes 28.

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah Points do make a huge difference. Especially on more performance cars. I have No claims. However the car I am thinking of is only really possible for sensible money if I use my old man as I am 20!

Quote: Originally posted by Alymac on 21 July 2003

I drove under my old boys for 6 years and when i took out my own insurance for my clio norwich union gave me 5 years no claims
And i hope you said thank you very much!!

cheers all.

ive given up on the idea of a 1.4rt, but heres my new idea, thanks to a bloke at the local insurance place -

i buy a 1.2 clio, costs about £1200 to insure for a year. BUT with this company, they do 6 month terms. so it costs me £600 to insure. if, once your 6 month term ends, you take up a full year on any car (i.e. 1.4 RT) they give you the price, but with a years NCB (even though its only been 6 months). THEN if i do pass plus, they give you another years NCB, so for doing 6 months driving in a 1.2, i could insure a 1.4RT in my own name, with 2 years NCB, after 6 months

thats the way to go i think - any comments?

cheers all