ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old school photography...

1.5dci
just wondering if anyone here still does film processing?
Dug out my old 35mm camera and have taken a couple rolls of film so now hopefully gonna process them! Its been about 3 years since i last did any rolls and that was in college with plenty of people of ask for help, so was wondering if there is anyone here who maybe able to give me some pointers, as i'm just hoping the instructions on the chemicals will match processing information of the film!
Thanks

btw, i'm using HP5 film, and have got Ilford ID11 Film Developer, Ilfostop Stop Bath, Ilford Rapid Fixer and Ilfotol Wetting Agent ordered.. i think that is all i need from memory!

Cupra
It is over 12 years since I last developed a film and I can't remember any of it! I was looking at 2nd hand film SLRs a couple of weeks ago with a view to getting back into it, but decided that it is just so much easier to stick with digital.

I did love the darkroom smells though. :D

Film shooting is a whole different style too, you have to actually plan the shot carefully, rather than rattle of 20-30 images from all different angles and settings to see which one comes out best. I actually quite like that aspect of it.

Have fun!

1.5dci
ah kwl, i've never got used to digital for proper pictures, have a compact for quick shots and a bridge to the mid range, but have always preferred 35mm for the important shots, no real idea why though, but i think it's the preparation and then knowing there is a decent photo, instead of hoping that there will be a decent shot somewhere on a memory card.

I'm hoping my landlady likes the darkroom smell as we live in the same house, and i'm hoping to use the bathroom for it :-s

Ian

Focus TDCi
I've bought a Canon EOS 650 which is compatible with all my EF lenses. Basically it's cost me £30 to go full-frame lol.

I've had it for a month but been too wary to try it out yet, best way to find out if you're any good at photography or not!

My aunty has just told me she has a film developing tank though, so I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a try.

1.5dci
i'd love to have a actual darkroom to do the photos aswell, but student housing puts a stop to that! although fingers crossed, next year moving in with my bf and his student house landlord is very flexible and its more of a standard renting agreement, so theres possibility i can covert the shed, which would be great!

Ian: it's defo worth a shot, you can't lose much, i got my camera from my aunty, found she had a p35 with three lenses in a cupboard, so took them off her hands for a bit! Hopefully i'll be able to get a roll processed by the end of the week, so will see how it goes!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I've bought a Canon EOS 650 which is compatible with all my EF lenses. Basically it's cost me £30 to go full-frame lol.

I've had it for a month but been too wary to try it out yet, best way to find out if you're any good at photography or not!

My aunty has just told me she has a film developing tank though, so I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Just uses you DSLR as a very posh light tester.

never developed since machine dipping is very repetable but done my own printing quite a lot. prefer digital and photoshop TBH

1.5dci
Hey thought i'd update this, seeing as my attempt was a success.
Spent a while setting everything up at the weekend, but once everything was diluted etc, it took less than 30mins to get it done per film, have 2 out of three rolls processed now and scanned in, one to go... although taking the camera to Liverpool this weekend, so could end up with lots more if the weather brightens up.

Those who said about trying it, or re-trying it, i'd say defiantly go for it, it was great anticipation waiting to see if anything actually came out and stuff, and really good when it finally did.