ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old CS Debate - 172 or 182

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
172 Cup is my favourite RS Clio, but I found the normal 172's I've driven lacking in 'edge' from a chassis view.

I now have a 182 with both Cup packs and think that this is the best compromise of luxury verses chassis. I like the twin pipes as it sets it apart from the Dynamiques, plus I like the wheels. Normal 172's just look like any other Clio to me - which may or may not be what you want.

No denying - flame red is a lovely colour they should have carried to the 182.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Favourite thing about my 182 are my Recaros and exhausts... oh and the cup packs I guess. So pretty much everything :clown: no way I'd get a 172 now.

Turbo LY R27
172 Cup is my favourite RS Clio, but I found the normal 172's I've driven lacking in 'edge' from a chassis view.

I now have a 182 with both Cup packs and think that this is the best compromise of luxury verses chassis. I like the twin pipes as it sets it apart from the Dynamiques, plus I like the wheels. Normal 172's just look like any other Clio to me - which may or may not be what you want.

No denying - flame red is a lovely colour they should have carried to the 182.

+1 Monaco should of been bought over as well as iceburg, dont like the 182 silver compared to that.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Ive owned both, not much in it apart from the 182 feels a bit taughter, having said that the 172 was on eibachs and the 182 is on cup suspension. The 182 seems to rattle less but im guessing because its newer!

J

joker182

I havent driven the 172 , but I doubt that there is that much difference between it to drive and the 182. If your thinking of spending a lot on modifying it then the cheaper purchase price may give you a bit more room in your wallet. I would drive both and see which you like. I suspect they will be both good cars and tug at your heart. I love the twin pipes on my Racing Blue 182. I'm only the second owner and the original owner saw me the other day and stopped to talk to me about the car --- alas he had to part with it to the main Renault dealer when he was buying a new house and getting married and missed his "baby". He was happy that his " Baby " had found a good new home however.

ITB'd 182...
172 cup

Slip'd up when i bourght my 182 tbh...

To many driving aids. Not a fan of ESP

Audi TT 3.2 V6
I'm happy with my 182 although a little miffed that when i did an insurance quote on a ph1 172 the other day it came out £150 cheaper than my 182's insurance :S

clio trophy No56
All variants of the 172's and 182's are mint, just go with the one you like the look of.
My opinion is the Trophy looks best and handles best, thats why i bought one.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I have owned both, for the money any 172 cant be beaten. But in terms of being the best car the 172 wins.

Ph 1 172
surely this whole thing of which one is better can end now!!!! its pretty simple....
-there is no major difference in top speed or acceleration (well no difference you can feel on the road anyways)
-and as you want the FF version of the 182/172 (didnt think the 172FF existed) then there is no real difference in cornering either. unless the cup packs come into play on the 182
and as you have the money to buy either one of them...Which one do you prefer the styling if its the 172 go with that if its the 182 go for that!!! only you know what your prefer... Job done