ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil

What grade of oil should I be using in my 96 RSi? Up until now, I have been using Mobil 1 0w-40 but Ive been recommended to use 15w-40. Which would be better and why?

Skoda Fabia vRS

15W-40/50 is the book recommended oil, however if your usin a synthetic then you dont need to follow that guide

if your happy with the Mobil 1, and its a VERY good oil, then stick with it, it will be better than any 15W-40 you put in

Ive heard it said a few times that the Mob 1 0w - 40 may be a tad thin for higher miler or older engines. On my L*tus the dealer suggested a switch from the Mob 1 to a semi synthetic at around 50,000 miles, other guys who used the 0w - 40 complained of more rattling on cold starts than with the older formula which I think was 15w - 40. But Im sure there are others on this board who can give you a more factual based explaination...

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by BrynO on 19 August 2003

Ive heard it said a few times that the Mob 1 0w - 40 may be a tad thin for higher miler or older engines. On my L*tus the dealer suggested a switch from the Mob 1 to a semi synthetic at around 50,000 miles, other guys who used the 0w - 40 complained of more rattling on cold starts than with the older formula which I think was 15w - 40. But Im sure there are others on this board who can give you a more factual based explaination...

Yep, sounds about right, after a good few miles parts wear and thin oil seeps down valve seals and smokes!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS

right, Mobil 1 is only thin in the cold, which means it flows faster than a 15W-40, meaning that the oil gets to where it needs to be from the moment you turn the key, unlike a 15W-40, so you get BETTER cold/wear protection from cold with the 0W-40

Once your up to temp its practically identical in viscosity to most other 5W-40/10W-40/15W-40 oils on the market today

So the only chance it has of seeping down valve seals is on a cold start, and thats only if your engine is worn

Mobil 1 do another formula which is 15W-50 Motorsport, this isnt much good for cold starts in the winter in my experience

My 1.4RT is currently on 98k miles, and im using a fully synthetic 5W-40, which will obviously be quite similar in viscosity to Mobil 1............and my car doesnt smoke.........in fact in 6000 miles ive only used about 500ml of oil MAX!..........Cold starts are a LOT better and the engine seems to rev better

The Mobil 1 Im using is a fully synthetic oil. Ive never used anything else and Ive never experienced any smoking!?!? The engine has done 61k miles and does sound a bit noisy when first started but all noises disappear when the car has reached its optimum temperature. The car has always started well in the cold and starts 1st time everytime. The engine hardly uses any oil either! So, am I OK to carry on using 0w-40 Mobil 1?

Skoda Fabia vRS

YES

using another oil would lead to more engine wear mate as it simply wont flow like the fully synthetic will

stick with that and i bet your engine doesnt smoke at 100k either !

Quote: Originally posted by BrynO on 19 August 2003

Thats balls, if you were running on fully synth from the word go, then you wont have experienced practically any wear at all......swapping when he said would of just started to decrease wear protectiong, modern fully synths just about stop all wear from occurring.

speaking of oil BRUN.........

somebody i know has paid for oil and no recived it...........trading standards?;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 20 August 2003

speaking of oil BRUN.........

somebody i know has paid for oil and no recived it...........trading standards?;)
someone paid me before they gave me there address :)

So if an engine has been running on semi synthetic (GTX Magnatec used by Reno), is it ok to move on to a fully synthetic?