ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil pump , chain, sprocket

Hi All
In the middle of rebuilding engine for a track car and have question concerning oil pump.
Engine had done 120k miles before being pulled down so I guess oil pump should get some attention.
So would new genuine be best? or are there good pattern ones out there.
Alternatively if there isn't too much backlash in the gears could the casings be machined to re-instate tolerances?
Also drive chain do they ever break? or should I just replace as matter of course?
Lastly the drive pulley on the crank should this be replaced?

Many thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you had no oil pressure issues beforehand I'd stick with the oil pump you've got. Clean it out, check the pressure relief valve plunger moves freely, pack the pump full of grease and run it again. The grease will generate the suction you need to get oil pressure in a fresh engine just in case you were wondering.
I also wouldn't touch pattern parts - I've seen genuine stuff have enough issues!!
You can do a certain amount of machining to the oe oil pump though, but you've got to know what your doing.

@Dan@SJM can supply uprated oil pumps - that's where I'd be going.