ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil pressure switch broken during oil filter change (Problem?)

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some help... I just spent 3 hours changing the aux belt on my 172 (2002) and its heaps quieter now! However I got carried away changing my oil filter and snapped my oil pressure switch (green one). The weird thing is that I have no dash warning other than the SERVICE light which was on any way.

Question the first - Does the old pressure switch effect the running of the engine or is it just a warning mechanism
Question the second - Why do you suppose this has not flashed up with an oil warning?

Thanks in advance!!!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Iirc the cable going to the switch from the light is live. So when the switch isn't earthed the light is off. When the oil pressure drops low enough to trigger the switch the circuit is made and the light comes on.

So if you have your cable just hanging there in your bay it's not going to bring the light on because it isn't earthed. Unless it touches the block or something in which case the light will come on.

It doesn't effect the engine in any way but an oil pressure switch is pretty essential to have with a warning on the dashboard to allow the driver sufficient time to knock the engine off before any serious damage is done.

It's unlikely of course but I'd get it sorted pretty soon