ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Light when full of oil?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
When you say oil light do you mean the "Oil OK" on the computer or the picture of an oil can?

If it's doing the "Oil------" thing the level sensor to the left of the dipstick may be knackered.

But if it's the oil can, that's oil pressure and you may have a big problem.

172 CUP GSXR 1000 K3
Mine did this a while back, oil level was spot on but the light kept coming on also with the stop light, so i just changed the sensor with a new one which cost me £8 ish and everything has been ok since.

If you genuinely have low oil pressure, it's not a good idea to drive it and it needs to be checked at a garage. Low oil pressure can quickly cause disaster for the engine.

First things first though, give the sensor, which is to the top left of the oil filter, a wiggle at the connector as it could be loose wiring.

Then try a new sensor 7700417970 and sealing washer 7703062043. Seems these are quite cheap as eight quid has been mentioned.

It seems that this is more likely to be the problem than a genuine loss of pressure. If that doesn't fix it, get it to a garage.

Some more information on this.

The car has oil in, when you turn the ignition the computer tells me I am full of oil and checking the idiot stick it is almost full.

The stop and oil pressure light comes on when idling and when in low revs(from idle to about 2000 depending on gear) once over 2000 the light goes off and stays off until you drop below the revs again, does this help anyone with more daignostics?

The car does not seem to be losing oil.

Thanks for any ideas Mat.

It sounds like you really do have an oil pressure problem then, not a sensor fault.

If it was me I'd not be driving it and getting it to a garage ASAP.

May be oil pump on the way out, blocked oil pump strainer, or the big ££££ is the main or big end bearings.

The longer you drive it the more damage you may do to the engine.