ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil level fooling around - HELP

"Navy" N17 TWO
Earlier in the year I was topping up about 900ml in around 650 miles - the dash is always wrong!
If the car is parked with the front facing uphill - the dash throws on the SERV light & flashes oil ------

When I check the dipstick at regular intervals I get different readings.....on the same day!
Sometimes when I check it hot, the oil is over the max line

Brand new oil level sensor fitted when the last oil change was done - thought it worked - must be placebo :(

Any mechanic I've ever asked has never heard of a compression test :S even Renault!

Any ideas?

Many.
Level will only be correct when its stone cold really.

Dash reading is obviously a problem you seem to have, but dipstick is a bit of a non issue if you're not doing it at the right times.

phase 1 172
id warm it up drain the lot change filter and start again

if theres too much oil in and your level sensors saying otherwise (its new so not faulty) id be pointing towards a bit gunk floating about giving you a daft reading

phase 1 172
my ph2 did it last winter and its now doing it again but shes also due a service-thick gunky oil ?

Mk3 clio 1.5dci
Check it when your next filling up with petrol. Once u finish and pay etc, gives it a bit time to settle and most forecourts are fairly level. Stone cold on a flat surface is usually the best though.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Oil on the stick & around the cap seems clean. New breather gasket & VVT seal fitted on last change in March this year too.

Also some oil is pooling where the lower inlet meets the head. (been like that since I've owned it)
Belts are due and dephaser is showing signs of needing replaced - awesome craic!

CLIO 182
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Oil on the stick & around the cap seems clean. New breather gasket & VVT seal fitted on last change in March this year too.

Also some oil is pooling where the lower inlet meets the head. (been like that since I've owned it)
Belts are due and dephaser is showing signs of needing replaced - awesome craic!

my pools there too?? Wtf think mine is coming from the breather at the back of the upper inlet only noticed it after fitting a crank breather :/

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not sure what's going on, but ran it out to a quiet flat spot few miles from home - let her cool for 20 mins.
Checked level, added some and checked again until it was about halfway between the markers.

The dash always says there is less oil in if the car is parked facing up hill - but sure the sensor is at the front of the engine

Recorded the miles and will check it regularly
Having the belts done in the next few weeks too and I'm getting them to reseal the cam cover

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
The dash always says there is less oil in if the car is parked facing up hill - but sure the sensor is at the front of the engine

which it will do, with it parked facing uphill the oil will flow to the back of the sump and the oil sensor is at the front, with less oil hitting it now as its all gone rearwards

"Navy" N17 TWO
SERV light on again today and Oil ----- flashing after having to park facing uphill! FFS
Checked it 10 mins ago, pulled in on way home & let it cool on the flat (cold as when it was topped up) down 1 bar on the dash and a slight fraction under halfway on the stick - it's done 20 miles!

Will give it a run later and re-check - getting on my nerves now :(

Anything else I can investigate for this fiasco?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Been keeping an eye on the oil level since I put this up - I've added 800ml in 500 miles and that's just keeping the level halfway between the marks on the dipstick
Starting to worry about the internals of the engine tbh

Booking it in to have the belts done before the end of the month

Anything else I can check around the car or get them to look at while it's in & stripped?

Help very much appreciated in advance!

Its more likely to be leaking oil than consuming it im my experience. Take the undertray off and let us know what its like under there.

Mine leaks a bit from the sump gasket, I've not got my undertray fitted because I'm monitoring it and you can see it gets messy under there if its leaking. Mine never drips on the drive, but I guess its is leaking a bit under pressure and if the level is near the top mark it seems to drop quicker than if I keep it near the middle. But my top-ups seem much mroe infrequent that you're having to do (I've been adding only 1 litre between oil changes, which I do around 8k miles)

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
The oils gotta be going somewhere, it can't just disappear. Have you tried seeing if it is burning oil, like blue smoke out the exhaust? Or do you have a oil leak from the sump or something?

Unsure and the oil light flashing up on the dash tho, could have been a faulty sensor..?

Get them to leak down test and compression test it BEFORE doing belts. No point in putting new belts on an engine that's potentially fucked. 1L per 625miles is alot. Even though Renault state that as acceptable lol.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Don't know how you use that much oil, mines on 110k and it barely uses 500ml within 6,000k! Get it check ASAP! How many miles it on btw?

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's what's worrying me!
She's on exactly 69268 miles at the moment - last oil/filter change was done just after 60k

"Navy" N17 TWO
Looking into it 1st thing on Monday - I've also come to learn that Renault have some sort of flush stuff that helps cure cars burning oil

If all it needs is a good flush (or 2) and new oil - then happy days! Just have to wait & see

phase 1 172
You cant just loose that amount n it not leave a trace,if its leaking externally youshould see it n internally id expect to see blue smoke under load

Also check plugs to see if any look more carbon,d up than other

Ph1
I'm in the same boat, have been for a couple of years now. :eek: - Losing quite a substantial amount of oil but no signs of where its disappearing to.

"Navy" N17 TWO
It's got the K-Tec Supersport Recessed exhaust & K-Tec Sport cat.
Also has the RS Tuner 98ron map & Maxogen induction if that makes any difference

2003 Clio 172
if its burning it, you would see it given that amount of usage bud......that's an awful lot of oil to be going through. any old garage would do a compression test for you by the way, no need to pay Reno money. Where you going? Hursts?

at most......mine would use about 500ml between services to keep it perfectly on level but i don't generally bother as long as it never drops too far......

"Navy" N17 TWO
No coloured smoke out of it that I've ever noticed - the odd smell sometimes after a good blast.

Not sure where to go with it - def don't fancy going to Hursts lol Shelbourne would be my go-to if I have to go to Renault