ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Level Dash Display + Can Holder

Right, I've got a 2004 04 1.2 Dynamique, which didnt come with an owners manual, so I bought 1 from Renault which ended up being a June 2005 edition, as this is the only Clio II manual they apparently now sell.

was reading about the oil display, i.e. basically when you start the car up, for 30 seconds the mileage display isnt displayed instead you get "OIL OK" fair enough, anyway, the owners manual says that while "oil ok" is displayed if you press the end of the wiper stalk (i.e. the button that scrolls through the trip computer functions) then it will show you an approximate reading of your oil level in the format of squares to indicate the level e.g. "OOOOOO oil" means the oil level is at its maximum "000--- oil" means its half full, "------ oil" means you need to top up etc.

so I tried it, started the car, got the OIL OK message, pressed the trip computer button on the end of the wiper stalk and it didnt show me my approx oil level instead OIL OK went away and my mileage came up as normal.

secondly, in the owners manual it shows a picture of and says you should have 2 time clocks, 1 in the radio/outside temperature bit and 1 showing the time just below your mileage read out, whereas my car only has the 1 in with the radio and outside temp display theres nothing displayed below my mileage display.

is it simply because my car is older than the cars the book was originally intended for i.e. 05 plate cars as its a June 2005 edition and the later cars had more/different features.

lastly, is it just me or are the cup holders in the centre console just infront of the ashtray/fag lighter useless, I put a can of juice in 1 of them the other day, drove away, turned a corner and the can tipped over spilling its contents everywhere :(

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
cupholder - useless!

i've got an 04 dynamique aswell and i don't have 2 clocks, or the oil level reading, if that helps?!

1.6 16v without an engine
u dont press the end of the stalk...

put ur key in and put the ignition on and press the little button that resets ur trip computer ... the little button that sticks out of the display thingy... (cant remember the name atm)

this should tell u how much oil u have...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ whilst the engine is running? or just with the key in the ignition?

ah right the trip mileage reset button, as it says in the handbook press the end of the wiper stalk i.e. trip computer scroll button or the trip mileage reset button I assumed you only pressed the trip mileage reset button to get it to display the oil level if your car didnt have a trip computer hence no trip computer scroll button on the wiper stalk, i.e. I assumed when the trip computer scroll button didnt work my car didnt have the feature.

BMW M135i
Whilst its showing the oil ok message and the gauge will be shown.

Time won't be displayed in the dials if the car has a trip computer fitted, and the cup holders are w**k.

Time won't be displayed in the dials if the car has a trip computer fitted, and the cup holders are w**k.

its weird actually, my cars a 2004 04 as said and when the oil ok is displayed an I push the button for the trip computer on the end of the wiper stalk it jumps back to my mileage read out, yet pressing the trip odometer reset button shows the approx oil level

HOWEVER, I've driven a couple of later cars, a 54 plate 1.2 Expression and a 56 plate Campus Sport, on both of these cars if you press the trip computer button on the wiper stalk while oil ok is displayed they both show you the oil level by pressing that, but do absolutely nothing if you press the trip odometer reset button next to the speedo.

also BMH the expression and campus sport above both had a trip computer fitted and both showed the time below the milage read out in the dials, whereas my car has a trip computer also, but DOESNT display the time below the mileage read out on the dials.

methinks renault changed the dials layout between 04 and 54 reg cars, e.g. start up a 04 plate for example and the oil ok message reads as OIL OK in caps and is in the bottom left hand corner of the display next to fuel gauge, start up a 54 plate and the oil ok message reads as oil ok in lower case and in much bigger letters across the width of the mileage display,

BMW M135i

its weird actually, my cars a 2004 04 as said and when the oil ok is displayed an I push the button for the trip computer on the end of the wiper stalk it jumps back to my mileage read out, yet pressing the trip odometer reset button shows the approx oil level

HOWEVER, I've driven a couple of later cars, a 54 plate 1.2 Expression and a 56 plate Campus Sport, on both of these cars if you press the trip computer button on the wiper stalk while oil ok is displayed they both show you the oil level by pressing that, but do absolutely nothing if you press the trip odometer reset button next to the speedo.

also BMH the expression and campus sport above both had a trip computer fitted and both showed the time below the milage read out in the dials, whereas my car has a trip computer also, but DOESNT display the time below the mileage read out on the dials.

methinks renault changed the dials layout between 04 and 54 reg cars, e.g. start up a 04 plate for example and the oil ok message reads as OIL OK in caps and is in the bottom left hand corner of the display next to fuel gauge, start up a 54 plate and the oil ok message reads as oil ok in lower case and in much bigger letters across the width of the mileage display,

Ph3 dials are different to the Ph2 hence no clock. Digital temp/petrol gauges and bigger graphic screen instead of the segment one of the Ph2, hence you get a clock in those. I assumed we were talking about the Ph2?

no, I have a May 2004 "04" reg phase 3 dynamique, which doesnt have a clock below the mileage display on the dials, but I've driven a October 2004 "54" reg phase 3 Expression which has a clock below the mileage display readout

as I say I think renault must have added this feature at some point between 04 reg and 54 reg cars