ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak?

KMW

Clio 182
Sorry in advance as this is a bit random and probably quite a daft question for a correct answer but thought I might as well ask the experts.
I had car (05 182) in tyre place last week and when it was up in the air we noticed a fair amount of engine oil splashed back all around the passenger side and front wheel arch underside of car, I didn't get a decent look at it as guys were in a hurry and there was oil all over everything so couldn't pin point where it had come from.
Is there a likely place / known area I should be looking for the leak at ie: sump gasket, filter, breather etc?
I've checked oil level and it seemed alright if a tiny bit down from where it was beforehand when I last checked it but as you know when oil sprayed everywhere it looks worse than it typically is!
Any pointers greatly appreciated but I know I'm gonna have to probably get it up in the air, clean it all over and wait / search for drips.....

KMW

Clio 182
Thanks DaveDreads.
Looks to be more oil than grease also more than what a gator would hold.
S'pose I'm just gonna have to get my paws dirty.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Ok i'm going to name some of the places these things leak from:
Sump gasket (all round)
Sump plug
Gearbox selector shaft seal
Rocker cover (all round)
Rocker cover bolts (any of them)

Should keep you busy for a while.

Reactions: KMW

KMW

Clio 182
Ha ha looks like it's more sieve than engine!
Might be better to just keep a few litres of oil in the boot.
It's going to be a track car predominantly so need to try and get a handle on any leaks etc I'm from a BMW background for last few years so searching for leaks is a trip back in time for me.
Great wee car the 182 though and I'm loving the buzzy wee nature of it.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You may have noticed the sump tray is full of padded foam, Renault honestly put that there to soak up any oil leaks,
they knew these things leaked like sieves and that was their solution. lol

Reactions: KMW