ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak assistance

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
There is a bit of oil on the floor of my garage from a recently aquired 140k 182.
On the underside, I can see the following:
oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

At the top of the engine there is oil residue around the cam covers and some oil possibly mixed with water in a gully just behind the plenum at the front. There is also a bit of oil on the front of the engine, covering the power steering or maybe aircon pipe.

The first pic shows that it stops just above the sump level, but I suspect it has accumualted here from further up the engine. It looks like it is more on the gearbox side of the block, than anywhere as all the gear links are coated.

Where are the common leak points? things to check first?
I have a gearbox to swap out next week, so I'd be able to narrow it down further, but would like to buy any seals etc in advance.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Common leak points, Jesus where do I start?
You've got input selector seal on the underside of the gearbox, anywhere around the sump gasket, all of the cam cover bolts can leak, but tbh going from the first pic it looks like your sump gasket is leaking.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Excellent.
The flywheel is bone dry, from what I can see.
Reckon it could be the sump gasket then...

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Only problem with replacing the sump gasket is the subframe has to come off, but seeing as you're replacing the box anyway you can do it at the same time.