ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak advice needed - PICS

Clio 182
Hi Guys

Took my engine out to investigate some oil leaks and found this:

4c4da0f8.jpg

d606c2c9.jpg

0a29e21f.jpg

0d4c3bf5.jpg

6f16f665.jpg

610d7365.jpg

I always suspected it to be the main oil seal but now I'm not sure if its the sump as well? I've got the bottom end gasket set so I can replace both anyway.

But my main question is that I have major amounts of oil in the gearbox casing, the clutch and flywheel are dry so I'm not sure where this has come from. The input shaft seal looks like it may have had a small leak to be fair, it had a tiny bit of fresh looking oil on it which I wiped away out of instinct before I took the pics :eek:

55d686c4.jpg

1734a9ff.jpg

83db88e5.jpg

If the input shaft seal has gone then I would probably look to get the box reconditioned somewhere but I'm hoping its just oil from the engine main bearing seal that has somehow missed the clutch and flywheel and splattered the rest of the gearbox casing?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James

Clio 182
Flywheel and clutch were both bone dry, both sides, which is what I can't get my head around, going to be changing the sump and main oil seal but will have to leave the gearbox until I can afford a recondition.

Going to see what it's like after a few thousand miles, if the leaks back then it box out again time :)

Lionel Richie
remove the main cap and reseal that too (the bit the crank seal sits in, bit of a t**t to do, but i've seen them leak)

Clio 182
Hmm, will have a better look tomorrow once the tool for the sump arrives, anyoyingly only a 1/4 drive E8 Torx will fit by the looks of it.

Then I can have a proper look at the end cap, may have to replace a bearing if there's one there?

Lionel Richie
don't worry about the bearing, normally fine, check for end float too

oh and its important your torque the sump bolts

Clio 182
don't worry about the bearing, normally fine, check for end float too

oh and its important your torque the sump bolts

Just thinking about this, is it best to undo all the crank carrier bolts (or crack them off) if im undoing the end cap, so that it can be torqued up in sequence again, or will i get away with just removing the end cap without touching the other bolts?

Will have to find my gauge for the end float lol, its been a while...

And I've just realised i've already put my new rear oil seal in! By undiung the end cap am I ok to reuse the seal? - The original seal had a 2mm lip from the block so I put the new one in to the same depth, sound about right?

I'll use the renault manual for the sump sequence:

SUMP.jpg