ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Coolers

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Anyone have any idea on the best/cheapest place to get a mocal 19 row oil cooler with braided hoses and a thermostat plate?

Cheapest place I've found so far is on ebay at £163 + £10 P+P

Cheers

Steve

RenaultSport 172
Ah right didn't know that. Still I've heard a few horror story of cars overcooling even when the coolers are taped up etc!

182 trackday racer
are there any advantage to fitting an oil cooler to a standard 182?

If you give it hell on track it is a must IMO, oil temp got very close to 140C on track after 10minutes. I now have thermo plate and a 13row. No way a 19row will fit under the cross member.

i have a 16 row oil cooler for sale , and it sits fine on the cross member , you want a 16 row if your running over 200bhp , 19 row is a bit overkill even for a clio turbo , i think 19row is for big turbo cars

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
An oil cooler is well worth it for track work IMO. It's a must on older F7Ps and F7Rs

If fitting, a thermostatic plate is a must. It prevents overcooling of the oil.

Nissan 350z
Sorry to go offtopic but how vulnerable are the Clio 1*2 to this problem. I mean the whole thinning of oil under heavy track use to cause engine damage?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Right after a little bit of trial and error a 16 row oil cooler is to big. Unfortunatley with me having an intercooler under the front cross member the only options were above the cross member or behind the drivers side fog lamp. I even went to pirtek to see if the could swage some low profile unions onto my hoses. However they dont have anything smaller than the mocal kit. It is literally 5-10mm to tall (thanks to the hoses and unions). I did consider ditching the fog lamps but I'm trying to retain OE looks, So I now have a 13 row cooler en route :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
No probs mate, I'll take some snaps and email them to you. I'm glad I didn't opt for the 19 row LOL. I could of trimmed the grill/bumper to get the 16 row in but it would've looked poo whe you opened the bonnet.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i have a tiny little one.......oil cooler i mean..........ahem

13 row but only about 20cms wide, more than sufficient for my f7p turbo ;-)

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
One of these is what you want....

05102008261Medium.jpg

together with a sandiwch thermostat plate....

18082008182.jpg

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
I've got 2 plates on there - ones thermostat and the other is take offs for gauges!!

HBT 172 Cup
I've got a 13 row cooler @ 400bhp. It's of course thermostatically controlled, but it still cools toooo much, used to struggle to get it over 75 deg even when driving hard. I've now fitted a slideable cover on the front so i can cover 50% of it for everyday use, then uncover it if needs be on a track day e.t.c

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@Laine_16v surely if its thermostatically controlled the oil will bypass the cooler until the valve in the sandwhich plate opens? which i assume will be at 80 or 90 degrees which is the usual temps for sandwhich plates

HBT 172 Cup
@Laine_16v surely if its thermostatically controlled the oil will bypass the cooler until the valve in the sandwhich plate opens? which i assume will be at 80 or 90 degrees which is the usual temps for sandwhich plates

YOu would think so yes. I am using a normal Mocal plate and stat (not an ebay billet job). But the SPA oil temp gauge just shows it doesnt reach temp adequatley. SO either its a faulty thermostat, or the thermostat naturally never fully closes and has a small bypass allowing a small amount of oil to be chilled regardless. It doesnt bother me that much if im honest though.

Ph2 172
YOu would think so yes. I am using a normal Mocal plate and stat (not an ebay billet job). But the SPA oil temp gauge just shows it doesnt reach temp adequatley. SO either its a faulty thermostat, or the thermostat naturally never fully closes and has a small bypass allowing a small amount of oil to be chilled regardless. It doesnt bother me that much if im honest though.

I could be wrong here as it was some time ago I was looking into it but I believe you are right when you say the thermostat is never fully closed and there is always a small bypass