ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Consumption on a 182?

wots the average sort of oil consumption a 182 should have? just a little concerned, coz the --------- oil indication came on on my display yesterday, and the OOO----- oil indicator only came on like a couple of weeks earlier... should it use this much oil so quickly?

i checked under the car for any signs of oil leakage, and checked to see if the panel under the engine had been damaged at all and it hasnt... but took off the covering for the engine today to have a gander, should the bay be completely clean, or are u likely to get a couple oily patches?

or if theres a problem and oil is leaking (looked oily just under the inlet manifold) where would the problem lie?

haha soz for all the questions

Kris

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
You say it looked oily under the inlet manifold, thats proberly where your problem lies, was there much oil there?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Renault state that 1 litre per 1000 miles is normal consumption . When i bought mine new it used a little oil in the first couple of months , i changed it at 4000 miles and its never lost a drop since .

BMW M3
My oil never seems to disapear. Its always at the same point.

1 litre per 1000 miles !! lol

Is that not 10000 ?

I might sound stupid here, but on a closed system it shouldn't lose any, right? If it's losing oil, then that's indication of a problem?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Is that not 10000 ?

No mate . Normal consumption can be up to 1 litre every " 1000 " miles . Sounds alot to me as well . My 182 doesn't use a drop now , and my 172 never used any as well .

BMW M135i
Both my old 1.2 and 1.6 never used a drop, if its oily under the inlet manifold then its most probably the cam cover leaking. Quite a common thing iirc.

Focus ST
ALL cars will use some oil even if it's hardly noticable - you'll never get a perfect seal between ring and liner.

Up to 1L per 1000 miles is considered normal although if I was approaching that I would be a little concerned.

May seem like a daft question, Kris, but was your car on the same slope when you checked the oil both times - that makes quite a bit of difference with the electronic oil reader when the car is at different angles.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I think Mazda's Rx8 is the worst new car for oil.

You have to check it every week according to the manual...

ian

BMW M3

Is that not 10000 ?

No mate . Normal consumption can be up to 1 litre every " 1000 " miles . Sounds alot to me as well . My 182 doesn't use a drop now , and my 172 never used any as well .

Oh, just seems thats loads. So 5000 miles after a service and there is no oil left ?

Ive regularly check my oil since new and even in the first 1500 miles it hardly used a drop and has continued that way till 37k now.

BMW M135i
I think Mazda's Rx8 is the worst new car for oil.

You have to check it every week according to the manual...

ian

They burn oil by design though, would annoy the tits out of me. My uncles got one and iirc you have to top the oil up every so many tanks of petrol.

Ad

MK2 FRS
on the subject of clio consumption, my 172 needed no oil for the first 36k, then then 1litre every 3k after that. dont think its had an issues as the same owner still has it who bought it from the dealer.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
4 stroke engines don't use oil, it's simply there as a lubricant, and the engine shouldn't use a drop. I don't know where you heard Renault say it can lose a litre per 1000 miles. I would be checking for leaks if my car used that much!

106 GTi
I think it says so in the manual/handbook what is acceptable consumption.

I know it said pretty much the same in my 205 and 309 Pug GTi handbooks.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I think it says so in the manual/handbook what is acceptable consumption.

I know it said pretty much the same in my 205 and 309 Pug GTi handbooks.

Covering their arses from warranty claims perhaps?? By design a 4 stroke engine shouldn't use oil.

Clio 172 mk2
Never had any issues with my 172 loosing oil.

Always use the dipstick to check it when cold though.....don't rely on the dash readout...it's Renault electrics!

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
When I had my 172 for the first few months it used quite a bit, and I got a little worried. (Probabaly about 500ml over a 2000miles).

Then I had the 24k service and used the correct 5w30 oil and it hasn't used a drop since.

As I did notice that the first service before I had it they used 10w40, I don't know why but it may of made the difference.

clio 182 black /gold
Mine has 20K on it. I have never topped it up. Saying that i have changed the oil at 3K then at 7K then at 10K first service then at 16K. So i might change it soon lol.