ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil breather with ITBs

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Im just in the middle of fitting some ITBs to my 172 Cup and was wondering what all you guys out there have done with the oil breather on the cam cover when fitting ITB's?

Shall i attach some hose and a catch tank to it and relocate the coil pack somewhere else?

Or shall i just trim it down so the coil pack can sit above it.. Is this safe to do?

Cheers..

Heres a pic of the breather on the cover

oilseppp.gif

Attachments

• oilseppp.JPG
    oilseppp.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
Just leave it open as its the CC breather not the crank case breather. Or chuck a later strainer plate on top which doesn't have the CC return on it then route the breather on the back of the plate to a catch can or run a line off it to the inner wing and vent it there.

Cheers
M

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Ok, cheers chaps.

I think i will remove the carbon can, be the easiest way.

Did you lot extend the coil pack bracket a bit higher to fit above the sort of lobe of the CC breather or cut it off?

Just stick a later strainer on which doesn't have the vent in it for the CC. They're pence to get hold of!

Cheers
M

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Ahhh hold on. I was thinking it was all part of the cam cover.. but it will just bolt off i assume?

Sorry i havent got the car to look at at the moment..

Rather than make a new thread, might aswell ask here.

Does anyone have the part number for the later breather?

Need to make sure i get the right one, and that it will fit onto a 172 PH2.

Have pm'd Icarus but i know hes busy, so just wondering if anyone knows.

ITB'd MK1
I've "trimmed" a 172 breather box up before for the same reason. Bit of thought a hacksaw and a file, then some paint and it can be very tidy

Didnt hutchie fit one from a 182 to his?

Pretty sure he did, I fitted a 197 one to mine at one point and a Meg 225 one to another 736.

Bolt onto the rocker cover fine as far as I've found just the casting is a different shape so a 182/197 strainer can't be used with a 172 inlet manifold as the plenum fouls the rear of the casting.

Cheers
M

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
just leave open, and take breather on back (where the air filter normally connects) to catch tank

RS RIP
Just leave it open as its the CC breather not the crank case breather. Or chuck a later strainer plate on top which doesn't have the CC return on it then route the breather on the back of the plate to a catch can or run a line off it to the inner wing and vent it there.

Cheers
M

bit of hijack sorry !

When looking at the pic : is this also the one where the tube goes into the induction-elbow/inlet ? I always assumed it was the crankcase breather that i disconnected and stuck a breather on !? :S I followed the tube and it goes into the cam-cover ?