ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh no! What have I done!!!!! Greetings from Cardiff, South Wales

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Hey all :), glad to be a paid up member of this community. In a moment of madness I went to see a very MAX POWER'd up Clio 172 with a stripped interior no MOT and no history and decided to give the gentlemen a very small sum of money for it. :rasp:

Anyway, I bought it with the intention of turning into a track car, the shell seems straight enough and it pulls like a train. Although its has been modified beyond recognition.

Is there a list of consequtive VIN Numbers that were designated as 172's, its prob me just being paranoid but just for peace of mind and before I start spending money on it I'd like to check its a legit Renault Sport. Its a 2000 model. The V5 Says Clio Sport as the model. Are any of the lesser models listed as renault sports? Any easy way of telling? The interior is gutted, including the dash!

Its going to need a suspension setup... it looks like a roller skate, two new alloys plus tyres, new battery, bumper and bonnet secured in order to get a MOT. Ill let you know how I get on! (Oh and if anyones reading this and based in south wales and has a couple of cheap alloys and or uprated and lowered suspension setup I'm in the market!)

Anyhoo, catch you soon!

Steve

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Oh its the one we where dissing in another thread lol! I never thought it was a real 172 looking at the ebay thread tbh.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FLOL at some of the comments.

Get up as many pictures as you can mate, and I'm sure a lot of people will help you find out if it's a genuine RS.

You've bought it with the intention of turning it into a track wh0re and if you got it cheap as chips, why not? Most on here think a track car is something they ride around all week in with no interior and never actually take on a track.

Despite all this, you're a f**king brave/mad man to buy that! LOL!

172 Cup
X184NGP is NOT on the Motor Insurance Database today

Vehicle Details Vehicle Details
The summary vehicle description is supplied by the DVLA

for registration number X184NGP

Make
RENAULT
Year of manufacture
Model
CLIO SPORT
Engine size(CC)

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
oh dear god! got your work cut out on that one dude and pmsl at the dash. good luck!

6fce9fb0.gif

How much did you pay for it?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear God!

That dashboard is a deathtrap along with the rest of the car.

I say £300 maximum!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, that is a metal dashboard? Seriously? A metal dashboard?

Lets hope it stays dark all year round.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
lol- loving the interior NASCAR look-

What are the welds like???:clown:

S

Nissan 350z
Dodgey dash, cloth seats, None sport headlights??

This reaks of being in an accident and repaired on the cheap. Seat airbags probably deployed hence cloth interior, and front end damage hence replacing with cheapo common headlights.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You win a prize my friend ;)

Is the engine sound? If so, it's really not a bad start for a track car, but it's gonna be rough and ready! Get yourself a dash from one of the breakers on here (sutt auto's or cliospares) and it'll tidy it up a lot. Only about 45/55 delivered.

Cloth seats, None sport headlights??

This reaks of being in an accident and repaired on the cheap. Seat airbags probably deployed hence cloth interior, and front end damage hence replacing with cheapo common headlights.

I don't mean to be rude, but what is it you don't understand about it being the base for a track car? People on here are so ready to jump on the "omg it's s**t" bandwagon and actually have NOTHING constructive to say.

A wind up? Please say it is. If not, I'll pay you £500 to crush it and post the tape to Top Gear.

Nissan 350z
I don't mean to be rude, but what is it you don't understand about it being the base for a track car? People on here are so ready to jump on the "omg it's s**t" bandwagon and actually have NOTHING constructive to say.

Of course its relevant. Would you create/invest on a track car based on a car which has been knowingly repaired on the cheap? What would that say to you about the quality/promptness of potential maintance on a 10yr old car?

The OP may not be clued up on Ph1 172s and may not have been aware those werent sport seats or sport headlights so i feel its a valid contribution to the topic tbh.

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Woah! Massively mixed reception. Guess I should of expected it. Everyone has a valid point I guess. I've take punt on an unknown obviously, the shell and engine seem fine apart from minor cosmetic things. Good thing about no interior is that you can see if it's been welded! Yes the dash is coming out and being replaced with the top of a non airbag model. Electrics all work after fitting a new battery and the loom
doesn't look like it's been messed with. It needs two new tyres and then it's going for an mot. I let you know how I get on. :)

on the issue of it being a real RS, is there a definative way of telling? I've always gone by vin sequences but no one in the know has responded about that. Cheers to the guy who checked the reg for me! I did hpi but appreciate! Didn't understand the insurance register part though?

Apologies for any text speak, I'm writing this on my iPhone!

Starlet GT Turbo
Hey Guys

I am a mate of the guy who bought this orange tango machine, :) I have got a starlet GT turbo my self which i use mostly on track, hes been looking for a car for a while. Now i admit its not exactly standard lol, but I have checked this car over quite extensively before we bought it. The chassis is straight as an arrow and no insurance wright offs on the register, its just been messed up cosmetically by some idiot.

Its bought to be tracked at only £400 it was cheap, dash is on order for about £50 to get that bloody silver crap out!! and i already have two bucket seats for it. Engine seems healthy and it doesnt look like it has had any shunts from the front and rear.

I dont understand why people are getting so arssy about this, its a stripped out clio 172 thats not standard. Its bought as a track **** and its gonna be gutted anyway!!

Just putting some new tyres on it this weekend, then its off to the MOT. Apart from looking like a chav machine at the moment, there doesnt seem to be any major mechanical issues with it. Will let you know how we get on with Mr Tango!!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
tbh for £400 its a lot of car even with all the work that needs doing.

what are you plans for it mate? it would be awesome to see a progress thread of the de-chaving so to speak

EDIT: Just read the above, fair do's. keep taking pics and let us know how its going :)

Starlet GT Turbo
hes thought about spraying it but our mate owns a graphics company and hes gonna get it wrapped like they do the Sky vans. Will completly cover the car with a colour i.e white or black so it should look like new again, will get it cheap of him too which is a bounus.

I am just as much looking forward to doing this as he is, hes got in on my drive at the moment so it should be a good project :)

He just sent me a msg saying look at the stir hes caused in the forums lol

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
lol some users can be very anal on here, especially when a clio has been ruined just search for 'lusty' threads and have a laugh. sounds like your going to get it sorted though

DMS

A thirsty 172
LOL @ the arsey comments. It cost next to nothing, he's already said he's going to turn it into a track car, spend money on it etc...
I don't see that it matters how bad it looks or what state the interior is in. If it's going to be a track car it'll all be going anyway.
As someone said, it's still a lot of car for the money, especially since everything seems to check out. Set about making it more track focused and do something about the appearance and you've still got a bargain.

To the OP: If you have anything other than a 172 cup with Turini's, Silvervisions, Yozzasport exhaust and a JMS remap you won't fit in with the majority on here. Don't worry about it, it's the typical sheep mentality.

LOL @ the arsey comments. It cost next to nothing, he's already said he's going to turn it into a track car, spend money on it etc...
I don't see that it matters how bad it looks or what state the interior is in. If it's going to be a track car it'll all be going anyway.
As someone said, it's still a lot of car for the money, especially since everything seems to check out. Set about making it more track focused and do something about the appearance and you've still got a bargain.

To the OP: If you have anything other than a 172 cup with Turini's, Silvervisions, Yozzasport exhaust and a JMS remap you won't fit in with the majority on here. Don't worry about it, it's the typical sheep mentality.

The reason there are so many comments is because there are threads in the For Sale section with track cars and ph1 172s that are around £1k. If you're telling me that they can fix the car that he has bought for less than this, great. But surely, buckets, cage, new dash, new wheels and tyres etc etc etc is going to stack up to this amount. . .

It's a forum. Full of knowledge of what has worked and what hasn't. Turinis look good. So do Silvervisions. The Yozza exhaust is one of the best out there, same with RStuning and JMS remaps . . . so you're saying people have a "sheep mentality" for wanting the best/finding the best for their car . . . ?? LOL. I'm getting a remap from Revo for the S3 because they're the most trusted supplier. But 1000s of Audis have them. Does that make me a sheep??

To the OP. If it's £400 and a project, fine. If it's straight with no history. But I would 100% have gone down the ready to run route with a car costing the same amount, once you've sorted yours out.

120d M Sport
I think that is Matt Blacks old motor, engine converted MK2 PH1. I could be wrong however lol.

He is on here, might be worth giving him a PM.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Track(ish)
Ok so I'm back home now. Havnt been at my laptop until now. Heres a few more pics:

Roof sprayed with rattle cans matt black. Not keyed or primered so just peeling off :)

4aed1e2f.gif

You can see how bad the reflection from the aluminium is in this pic!

6d17937a.gif

Anyone fancy a flush tailgate?

b211dd4f.gif

Was meant to get the ride height in this shot! Its like a roller skate!
9363bbae.gif

mctaggart and leon replace the wheel bearing on their Lada Niva, Clio Tango standing in to hold the tarp up! (It rains alot in Wales! )

c8019f36.gif