ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odometer / Mileage Display Resetting?

Renault Clio 172 Sport
All,
My girlfriend has just recently bought a black 02 172. We have noticed that for some reason the odometer / mileage counter is resetting itself?
I have banged on the dash and checked if the button to reset it is sticking and it doesnt seem to be... I think it seems to happen when the car is cold? (could be a red herring though).
any ideas?
Ive never seen this before and ive had 2 172's of this same year.
Where should I look? or does this sound like a Renault jobby?
Thanks all
ChrisW

Renault Clio 172 Sport
New battery most likly get it checked.

ALthough dashboard do fail occasionally.

If it was the battery, wouldnt it show in other areas of the car when starting etc etc???

Thanks
ChrisW

Depends, the trip computer has a memory, if it hasn't got enough power for the memory it will wipe it?!?!

As a few people above have said, battery. mine did the same and showed no other signs e.g started first time with no dim lights etc then one day battery was flat as a pancake. New battery fixed it though :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
BEst way to tell if its the battery....turn on the ignition, wait for the fuel gauge needle to stop rising (best with a full tank) and then as you turn the key to start the engine, keep an eye on the needle. If it drops as you start it then rises up again its the battery.

Means the dash is losing power during start up because the battery is weak.

Renault Clio 172 Sport
I had my missus go to a local parts shop and have the battery tested, he said that there was nothing wrong with it???
Could it still be a dodgy battery thats just not showing up on Amp tests?
If its not the battery then its got to be wiring.. feck?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Battery will be fine under test, mine was but a new one will cure it resetting:D

Renault Clio 172 Sport
Trust me its the battery.

How old is the current battery?

The car is a 2002 and i dont suppose its ever been replaced. I know the car was standing for a long time outside the prev owners, thats why he sold it cause he worked on the cruise ships... maybe its damaged it. I will get her to replace the battery for it. Any ideas the best place to get a battery from? and how much?
oh and the car has done a little over 41k

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Batterys have a life expectancy of 5 years or so and letting them discharge through not being used does damage them.

Halfords calcium batterys are decent and come with a 4 year guarentee, dunno how much though, I got it on Trade discount

I'd bet genuine cash monies on you replacing the battery and the problem resolving.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mines been doing this alot lately , only when it's cold though . If i set off quickly just after start up then all the lights on the dash come on for a couple of seconds , the low fuel light stays on even if there is a a quarter of a tank or more and everything resets itself to zero except for the total mileage . It's did it a few times last winter as well . The cars only just 2 years old so it sounds like a dash problem rather than a battery problem imo .

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Would a battery be at fault for the MPG, miles to next fill up, tripometer all reading blank?

I went to look at a car and that was what the readouts were like. Or is it because they've took the battery out and replaced it but not driven it anywhere?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Lead head you need to drive the car for about a mile before any readings show on computer but if it is resseting when you start it up it is the battery although it wont turn over slowly or show any other signs

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Trust me IT IS you battery !!:D

Trust me . It's not always the battery . My batterys fine , i've checked it numerous times . It's holding a charge . If the batterys the original and around 3 years old then i would accept that . But mines done this from being around 12 months old .

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My battery was the same too mate ,checked and tested it loads of times, car never struggled to start or showed any signs of a battery problem started off as an occasional problem then became more frequent mine started doing it when car was about 18mths old . I thought same as you, it can't be battery but it is . If you notice it usually does it when car is cold or during cold weather, not every time you start it. I was also getting a faint clicking noise from behind the dash too. If you start it and it dosent reset switch it off put lights and stereo on for a bit then try it again if it resets then this is a good way to check if its battery.Mine even had good readings on tester during charge. Gotta be worth a try mate cheaper than a new dash :D