ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd clocking noise on full lock

clio sport cup
Odd one this. (cup 172)

This only happens if the car has been parked for a few hours.

If i pull out a carpark space on pretty much full lock to the right its like the stearing rack is slipping, as if the wheels are jerking a couple of times, and a odd clicking/clonking noise. Its really hard to describe, its like the wheels are almost facing not the same way and one is clicking back into place to match the other wheel.

It cannot be a slipping rack, as the the wheel centers again true, and after the initial clicking it will not make the noise again on full lock.

However, it drives dead straight, no wobble, pulling, or real skittishness when pressing on (even though i think a rear damper is dead).

Really odd.. any ideas.

Clio 182 with Cup packs
Re: Odd clunking noise on full lock

My 182 with Cup packs does this too and I'd really like to know what the problem is.

Full right lock, pull forward and bang, sounds like something has collapsed in the f/n/s suspension / wheel / hub area.

Also get something similar in reverse when on full left lock, particularly when going over uneven ground like when I reverse off my drive and go over the lowered kerb.

Black Twingo GT
If the steering is clicking on full lock its the CV joint.....

Though it sounds like a loose top mount or something....

Dan

clio sport cup
Yep.. thinking about it I may get it in reverse on lock over uneven ground.
Im pretty sure it not a loose top mount, as you would notice this on general driving.

If this is the CV joint, why does it only do this the first time?

Anyone else got any insight?

clio sport cup
Hmmmmmm

Wear in the outer joint usually shows up as vibration at certain speeds, a bit like the vibration caused by an unbalanced wheel. To determine if the joint is worn, a driver should find a big empty parking lot and drive the car slowly in tight circles, left and right. Worn joints will make a rhythmic clicking or cracking noise. Wear in the inner joints shows up as a "clunk" or "pop" when applying power or, if severe, when lifting off the throttle.

Partial seizure causes a strange "pattering" sensation through the suspension. It is caused by the joint overheating, which in turn is usually caused by the outer joint gaiter/boot having split, allowing the joint to throw out its grease. If caught in time, one can clean the joint carefully, repack with grease and replace the gaiter/boot. Kits which include the grease, gaiter/boot, and retaining clips are available from most automotive manufacturers. Some universal gaiters/boots are split lengthwise enabling them to be fitted without having to disassemble the wheel hub and CV joint.

I guess it only happen when cold as they shink when cooling and sieze

Clio 182 with Cup packs
I did have a loose top mount before GDI fixed this a couple of weeks ago. Turn in impoved but clunk remains.

clio sport cup
I think its the CV, anyone know the prices for these (including the drive shaft i guess)

And is the Cup (with slighty wider track) use the same shafts as the normal 172/182

Clio 182 with Cup packs
did it drive normally at speed and normal driving? or just clunking when turning?

Clunking is just when turning at less than 5mph.

Also get a few creaks on full lock, and when just pulling away or stopping in a straight line. Again, slow speeds, when the car is cold. Basically when I get back to the train station in the evening and I'm pulling out of the parking spot, driving around the car park and in the query to get out onto the main round. The creaks sounds more like rubber bushes. It wasn't solved by the top mount washer fix (2 washer still for sale if anyone is interested!) or by grinding out the body work where the top mount caps were rubbing on the body work.

I did have lots of vibration when driving at normal speeds, after having all wheels rebalanced twice I'd come to the conclusion that this was just the raw exciting ride of a Clio on Cup suspension. That was until I put on a full set of new PE2s a couple of weeks ago. The ride quality is now totally transformed, it's as good as my BMW on a smooth bit of road now. The cheapo tyres that were on one axle when I bought it must have been square !!

Clio 182 with Cup packs
Re: Odd clunking noise on full lock

jester2k please can you let us know how you get on with the CV joint theory. If closer inspection confirms problem, replacement fixes clunk etc.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Found the problem with mine, very weird sensation when full lock to left or right. Took front wheel off and lots of grease everywhere! Outer CV boot the problem!

Golf
I thought mine was the top mounts or coilovers, only noticed the noise a few month after fitting them. Think i'll get it in the garage and just have it checked out