ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

October Photography Competition

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Augusts winning entry by Scott.:

10.jpg

For this month we have the following theme:

Bokeh

Entries close last day of October.

The Rules:

- Post a maximum of 3 images at one time, you can come back with more pics if you have tried something different, but please stick to 3 pics max each time.

- You must flag one image as your entry, feel free to repost your chosen image towards the end of the comp with 'entry' above it, this will be placed into a new thread at the end of the alloted time for people to vote on. Only images with entry clearly written above or below it will be accepted.

- Try to keep posted images to a max of around 800px wide.

- No rules on photoshop use etc, but this is first and foremost a photography contest, not a photoshop contest.

- All images entered must be taken within the dates of the competition specified above.

- If you want to change your entry, you MUST PM me before the closing date.

- If you haven't followed the above rules don't come moaning when your picture isn't in the voting thread.

The Winner will choose the next subject for November and win a special ClioSport.net goody bag!

Good luck !!

I know we had bokeh at the start of the year, but its always a fun one for people to do, and a nice one for new people to try out

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
I went for a popular topic to try and boost entries for this month. Plus it is a topic that involves skill with a camera.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Tidied the thread up, and clarified the subject as per Scotts. agreement :)

That is creamy bokeh Dan, although just to be a pedant, technically this thread should be called out of focus areas, bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus areas e.g. creamy, harsh

"Navy" N17 TWO
Can't mind which, they belonged to Steve Davison!
He gave our photography club a chat/display about motorsport photography.

His display and banter was very impressive. I despise motorbikes but loved every single one of his photos! :hail:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Jap term for "out of focus" I'm led to beleive from an old Competition thread on here :)

ARGHHHH!!!! Damn having to take the photo this month. My favourite from CSS that I would have entered in a heartbeat!!

5995426484_434fdde56d_z.jpg

m_CSS (17) by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

I'll get out with the camera this month without a doubt. No excuses for anyone, great them choice Scott!!

Problem with 'bokeh' is that it refers to the quality of the out of focus areas and not the amount of out of focus. Good bokeh is usually smooth and creamy, harsh bokeh is usually more.defined and rough looking. A lot of bokeh does depend on how much £££ you spend on the lens, with exceptions of course ;) I think the competition is about shallow depth of field. Dans cupcake picture was a perfect example

No it's about bokeh - it was "depth of field" but it was changed at the last minute ;)

Also anyone can buy a 50mm f1.8 - one of the cheapest lenses about and produces fantastic bokeh

A cheap 50 will easily produce out of focus areas, the quality of those areas will be dependant upon lens design.

Oh I get bokeh but any monkey could fire off a 5d + 85 f1.2, I'd rather enter a picture where the main subject is actually part of bokeh. Naturally if the theme was calling purely for eye pleasing bokeh, I give up ;)

You fully don't get it - It's about the aesthetics of the out of focus area - how pleasing it is to they eye
A slightly out of focus screaming protester with a s**t load of iso noise is hardly aesthetically pleasing is it?

The fact that it is not aesthetically pleasing does not suddenly make it not bokeh, it makes it poor bokeh but bokeh none the less.

Pending the sale of my 40D+ 70-200 this week, maybe I'll enter something more pleasing to your eye ;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Got a few from the 105mm that I could use. Will keep going until the end of the month with this one though. Hopefully get some better shots but if not then I will be using one of these

6253266663_49467e796b_z.png

6253281593_05c14d5c8a_z.png

I know I can get this one sharper if we have another decent day (and if he keeps bloody still!)

6253275329_dcecc6954d_z.png