ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Octane booster?

MK1 PH3 RSi
Has anyone ever used the so called "performace in a can", Octane booster by NOS (£20 halfords)

The product claims a 6 octane boost and is designed for race use only.

Anyone got any views on this?

Good/bad?

Thanks

Mégane RS
yeah there are 2 different kinds that nos make

street formula 3 RON

Racing formula or something 6 RON

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
They do make a difference...But be careful coz if you turn up at a RR and get ur car mapped to the fuel thats in it and then revert to 95 octane the performace won't be as good.

Works out 40p more a litre for a tank..

so say yer paying 95p/litre for petrol.. then that, works out at £1.35/litre with that stuff (based on 50l)

Not cheap!

MK1 PH3 RSi
already running optimax.
Just i am going to the pod tomorrow against another 182 and a 172 cup. I wanted a cheap advantage agianst them both.

not sure weather to use it or not thou.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
BIG D- make sure you dont fill your car to the max with petrol cos it adds extra weight, so plan well

i used to take my saxo to santa pod and it was easy getting weight out of the car quickly, but the clio feels alot better put together, how much can you take off the clio without wasting a whole day?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
You only get more power from higher octane if your engine is tuned for it. So if your engine is tuned for 98 octane the ECU can detect knock and still run on 95, just producing less power than it would on 98, and maybe even a bit less than it would if it was tuned for 95. But it won't produce more power if you put 101 octane in it.

So you could do that. Put 100+ octane in it, get it tuned for that, run octane booster when you go racing, and run 98 octane the rest of the time and rely on the ECU detuning the engine to run on it safely. That's how a lot of the upgraded ECU chips get the power increase they do. Instead of setting the tuning at the point that's best for 95 octane, they set it at the point that's best for 98 octane knowing that the sort of person who will rechip his engine is the sort of person who's going to be willing to always fill up with higher price higher octane fuel. And when they don't or can't the ECU will make sure the engine isn't destroyed.

A Beautiful R32
182's take 98 Octane as standard... Evo showed that yes more octane in fuel makes a difference with BP ultimate giving the biggest increase in BHP. So try it, it might work. And let us know what happens!