ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Occasional hesitation/loss of power at 5000rpm+

mk1 Octavia VRS
Sometimes when I get to 5000rpm the engine seems to splutter a bit and loses power. Only happens infrequently. Engine is definitely well up to temperature when it happens. Car recently passed its MOT. Timing is definitely not out. Oil level is fine. No warning lights on the dash.

I'm planning on servicing it soon and changing the plugs. If changing the plugs doesn't work where should I be looking next?

mk1 Octavia VRS
OK cheers, were there any visible signs on it or did you just follow a process of elimination?

Cliosport 172 cu
Well that was first thing I tried not saying it is that but it worked for me when I tryed booting it at high rpm didn't want to know or oxy sensor maybe.

mk1 Octavia VRS
lambda sensor pre cat
Wouldn't it have failed the MOT on emissions if the lambda sensor was bad?

I changed the plugs at the weekend - old plugs were Bosch ones and I've replaced them with the correct NGK ones so hopefully this will cure it.

basketballjoe3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I had something similar to this in mine about 6 months ago, turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor and/or thermostat (not sure, changed both).
Nothing else happened at first, and I just slowed down/stopped booting it and the power came back/hesitation stopped.

The give away for mine though was that a couple of days later the temperature gauge started hitting zero when it happened too.

Last edited: