ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OBD II 0-60mph Software

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
I had a little with play with my laptop/OBD reader last night and was just wandering how accurate they are when timing 0-60 and 1/4 mile sprints. My car is a standard 2004 172 and all the times i recorded (about 5-6 runs)were under 6.7secs, but the best are on the pic below. Are these good, bad or average? ..........And NO! I am not a chav! I just tried it out of interest to see what it could do

DSC00060.jpg

Awaits "on your private road comments" RE: current speed. Impressive times if that is accurate, no idea on the software though :S

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Software used is called Digimoto. I know the book speed is 7 seconds, so how accurate is this likely to be? i would have thought it was correct if its reading from the cars ECU. the worst time did was 6.9 with the esp on and which gave a bad clutch burning smell afterwards, i assume it was the clutch anyway.

And yes it was on old airfield by the way

Is this sort of thing GPS based? Small difference I know but my speedo (and plenty of others) over reads by at least 3 MPH when going slowly and more like 5 MPH at motorway speeds compared to the trip computer (though thinking about it this would make the 0-60 time even longer) Out of curiosity what other things can this OBD/laptop combo do?

Finally, where do people find all these dis-used runways (which also happen to be open and don't have big airport-like security fences) :p

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Same question here please? and what ODB reader did you use?

ODB reader is an ELM-327 USB

not very good pics but just took these of my laptop screen

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

obviously reads and or resets faults and turns off warning lights

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Finally, where do people find all these dis-used runways (which also happen to be open and don't have big airport-like security fences) :p

Look on google earth, Lincolnshire/Bomber County has loads of them left over from WW2.

gdw

RS Clio 172
Thanks for the info mate, I personally think the times a little too low but quite impressed in what features you get for very little money (assuming you get it from ebay)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Reminds me of danger to manifold :eek:

Hahaha - "Shut up, shut up" - I never understood why the floor fell out either shortly after

This kind of thing is to be taken with a pinch of salt as it uses the cars own systems for measuring distance Vs speed/load to roughly work it out. They are pretty good if you do it on a long flat stretch but try cheating it firstly by going up a decent % incline and then again only coming down it and then see how different the results are.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Hahaha - "Shut up, shut up" - I never understood why the floor fell out either shortly after

This kind of thing is to be taken with a pinch of salt as it uses the cars own systems for measuring distance Vs speed/load to roughly work it out. They are pretty good if you do it on a long flat stretch but try cheating it firstly by going up a decent % incline and then again only coming down it and then see how different the results are.

i'll give it go if i can find a suitable road.......whoops errrmm sorry i meant a decent uphill runway and post the results

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I have all this via my Android phone. The program uses GPS also but not sure if it's used when doing the 0-60's...
I've not got round to doing times yet, I'll have to try it out.

172 cup
has anyone used this software on android yet? I have a OBD 2 bluetooth connector, my phone finds the bluetooth device, but asks for a pass code when i try to connect. I have a HTC desire S with Torque installed btw.

E46 M3
I've got a bluetooth adaptor and use torque on android and racechrono on windows mobile.

Basically they're not very accurate at all. Theres a couple of problems, first is refresh rate. The OBD speed runs at 3-4hz so you have 0.5 seconds error already (starting and stopping). Some programs also use the gps which on a phone will refresh at 1hz or you can use a seperate adaptor than can run at 5 hz.

When I plotted a graph of gps speed Vs OBD speed I got a large difference on acceleration but no difference at constant speed, I'm not quite sure what was going on, wheel slip maybe.

My best recorded 0-60 time is 5.5 secs which was part of a 1/4 mile run that had a 99mph terminal speed, both of which aren't possible.

E46 M3
Yeah 1234 although I didn't need to enter it on windows it just picked it up (running android and windows duel boot)

gdw

RS Clio 172
Yeah no problem, its the one the O.P. mentioned earlier in the thread so should be fine.

172 cup
Managed to get this paired last night, 1234 worked :)

Works good, it claims 156.2bhp on my drive to work but didnt take it all the way through the rev range. The revs read accurately (if a slight bit delayed). Havent got any fault codes to test it on yet though!

Last edited:
  172 cup
I havent used the drivers that came with the OBD2 bluetooth adapter. I've been using the Torque app on my HTC desire S. This is very easy to use! so easy to select the required on screen gauges and save them to profiles for each car.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
doy you have a laptop? why not get the one with the wire for £15 instead of a bluetooth one for x amount and an android phone for £100?

Nippy white cup
I've got a bluetooth adaptor and use torque on android and racechrono on windows mobile.

Basically they're not very accurate at all. Theres a couple of problems, first is refresh rate. The OBD speed runs at 3-4hz so you have 0.5 seconds error already (starting and stopping). Some programs also use the gps which on a phone will refresh at 1hz or you can use a seperate adaptor than can run at 5 hz.

When I plotted a graph of gps speed Vs OBD speed I got a large difference on acceleration but no difference at constant speed, I'm not quite sure what was going on, wheel slip maybe.

My best recorded 0-60 time is 5.5 secs which was part of a 1/4 mile run that had a 99mph terminal speed, both of which aren't possible.

Yeah the reasons for error sound about right tbh... I got a 0-60 of 5.39 and a 1/4 mile of 14.2 @ 98mph properly times at York so the actually times/speeds are about right if a little too high for a std car