ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

O2M gearbox

Hi,
Looking for more info on the O2M conversion, like
What O2M box, 5 speed, 6 speed, 2wd, 4wd or don't it matter ?
Anything to look for when buying the box ?
What else would be needed to complete the conversion ?
Pro's and con's ?

Other options ?

Cheers

From that thread i've managed to put this lot together, still alot of my original questions not answered.

- O2M gearbox
- Custom gearbox mounts
- VW cable shift
- Custom VW/Reno driveshafts
- VW clutch
- VW starter motor
- Block to bellhousing adaptor plate and mounting hardware,
- Modified billet steel SPEC 228mm (02J) or 240mm (02M) light weight flywheel and upgrade bolts
- Crank hub centric adapter
- Hydro clutch 0.75 (willwood, girling, whatever) master cylinder. You can mount that above the clutch pedal or in the bay if you have space.
- Clutch reservoir, associated brake lines and fittings.
- Re-using the dog-bone type mount at the rear should be perfectly possible though. There are some points on the underside of the gearbox to afix a custom mount to.
- Subframe needs minimal work to generate some clearance. If you're using solid mounts then it won't be a problem anyway.
- Battery will need re-locating because the new gear change cable mech gets in the way(unsure about this as you can see at the bottom of post, it was possible to refit battery tray). It should be possible to add a bracket to the new mount to support the ECU and whatever else if required.
- Longer bolts to secure starter motor (be aware that there are different starter motors for the 02m with different bolt spacings).

02M 6 speed VW/Audi gearbox upgrade:
managed to re-use uprated engine and gearbox mounts, the original battery tray and un-molested coolant hoses. Only the loom needed re-jigging to clear the gearbox nicely. It was possible to install a VW clutch master cylinder to the 172's pedal box and install a reservoir in the o/s scuttle. The VW cable gear lever fits with only slight modification very nicely under the standard center console and with the gator re-installed there is no visable changes other than a new gear knob. Clutch and gear operation are as you would expect in a VW.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Having mine fitted now with a quaife diff, will let you know how it goes once back

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Is this at clioturbo or EFI ? does it take long to have it done?

No not turbo'd
Future plans are to turbo or supercharge it though (still undecided which).
Reason i was asking is because i've been offered a 5 speed 4wd O2M cheap cheap so thought i'd look into it but could only find bits and pieces of info scattered here and there.

turbo 182
If you can make it work with 4wd and its turbod do it, if not and still going to be fwd id personally stay with the jc5 box

I more than likely will turbo it, the impression i'm getting so far is the 4wd box(without the transfer box) is the same as a 2wd box and that a 5 speed box is the same as the 6 speed but with a gap where 6th would be, anyone know if thats right ?

Track 172 Cup
That would be a good laugh lol 4wd in a clio, probably be too much hassle though, unless you're handy with the spanners and could do it yourself.

2005 Clio 182
I more than likely will turbo it, the impression i'm getting so far is the 4wd box(without the transfer box) is the same as a 2wd box and that a 5 speed box is the same as the 6 speed but with a gap where 6th would be, anyone know if thats right ?

Correct .
My pal run a tts box without the transfer on his mkv golf gti

turbo 182
Imo unless you NEED the 02m box stick with the jc5, the 02m feels horrible in comparison and it's not just a bolt on away you go either, I've had a few issues with mine but hopefully now should be sorted - trackday in a couple of weeks so time will tel

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I assume you've changed the bell housing? As the kit that scoff does isn't for the r32 box.
Only from what I read .. could be wrong , this is the box Dan
Screenshot_2015-04-01-20-35-55.png

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It's being fitted now mate along with a few other new boosty bits .. won't have it back for a month or so
Hi Mate, are you having a different turbo fitted as I know you had somewhere above 300 before. God that is going to be so rapid once its done. Shame these things take so long. Been waiting for 2 months for clioturbo to do my car so far, they deffo need a bigger garage and more mechanics. Andy was telling me about how nice your car is.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hi Mate, are you having a different turbo fitted as I know you had somewhere above 300 before. God that is going to be so rapid once its done. Shame these things take so long. Been waiting for 2 months for clioturbo to do my car so far, they deffo need a bigger garage and more mechanics. Andy was telling me about how nice your car is.
Yes mate, new turbo and a few other bits

I strongly doubt it would be that easy tbh mate and will require the gearbox to be swapped for a 6spd.
I did think it might not be that easy, i thought i'd read whilst looking at the 5 speed versions something about its got the gap for the 6th gear but as something in its place, but i am a lazy reader.

Imo unless you NEED the 02m box stick with the jc5, the 02m feels horrible in comparison and it's not just a bolt on away you go either, I've had a few issues with mine but hopefully now should be sorted - trackday in a couple of weeks so time will tel

What sort of problems you had ? Be nice to know what problems could arise.

turbo 182
Kept looseing the clutch pedal pressure whilst on track, first we thought it was the turbo boiling the fluid so we ran the clutch line through the car from the pedal cylinder to the slave on the gear box, which did help but didn't 100% stop the issue as I was still getting clutch fade but not 100% loss as I was before, we then thought that I was loosing pressure so instead of having the clutch resivouir in the scuttle panel it's now mounted directly above the pedal slave and also had a new pedal slave fitted at the same time, this should hopefully rule that out now, out on track in a week or so and will be able to report back how i get on