ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plates

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Rather amusing story to begin with.

I wanted some new plates for my car, current ones have borders, logos and dealership logo on them and i wanted some plain ones that just had the reg on and nothing else, no GB sign or writing on the bottom part of the plate.

I went to my work, they could only do it with our company logo and address as a legal requirement, fair enough i thought, ill just go to another place and see if they can/will make them.

Went to a local motorspares place near me and asked the lad behind the counter for some plates making up, a while back they were £15 all in, in my opinion for something that has 20p worth of material and 10 seconds labour i thought it was excessive but bit the bullet anyway.

This time they were "£19.99", i decided to go with it despite the hike in price as they could do them without any logos or crap involved. Whilst i passed over my V5 (he never actually asked for it, just said "waz da reg m8?") i sparked up conversation about the legislation that they are required to put on the postal code and logo of where they were made. He then said "Ye m8, we az to put that on?" despite him telling me moments ago it wouldnt have it on. The deal breaker was "I can du u sum sho pl8s 4 forti quid an dey dun av it on ye, dey sho pl8s tho".

So, technically im using less resources (ink to print the logo and effort of making up the plate) yet its double the price. :D

I decided to walk obviously but now im in need of just some plates with no logos, surrounds or general tatty crap on them, can anyone recommend anywhere online? After looking at the size of the postal code requirement im happy to have just the post code displayed as it isnt mahoosive. Basically i just want to get some standard clean number plates, no dodgy fonts, no pressed metal or any of that.

Cheers.

Vw caddy tdi
Halfords m8 tiny tiny reflective bs logo in middle at bottom of plate hardly notices at all....

106 GTi
Halfords m8 tiny tiny reflective bs logo in middle at bottom of plate hardly notices at all....

Not any more they have recently changed them, they have the details in Blue now on the r/hand side of the plate in the corner.

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
the legislation is rubbish, these motorfactors i know for a fact can get plain unmarked plates and backings for the same if not cheaper than the legal ones, and as for charging you £20 more, i'd report them to the dvla mate, get the privalage of makin plates taken from them!!

106 GTi
I want to get another set the other day and both the local ones only had the newer ones :(

306 GTI-6
I want to get another set the other day and both the local ones only had the newer ones :(

Might get a set now, as I will need some for MOT time in May. Finding someone else who does them with really understated BS and postcode is quite difficult. If they still have plenty I could see if they can make a set with your reg on as well if you like.

106 GTi
That's why I liked them as they where understated but still legal. Cheers for offer but they ask for the V5 now don't they ?

306 GTI-6
Think they are meant to, but when I mentioned it they said it didn't matter as I was in Scotland! Didn't think the law was different, but I will let you know as I think I will be popping in tomorrow morning.