ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number Plate Values

BMW 323i Coupe
So I was driving home yesterday, and a guy in a black BMW pulled alongside me and put his window down, long story cut short, he used to own my car about 9 years ago before selling it to his mate Jason, who then sold it to the guy I bought it from.

He told me to get a valuation on the number plate as it was worth a bit of money. I had a look around and found a place called Reg Transfers, who valued it at £400, which to me seems like a lot seeing as it's just a standard plate.

Wondered what people thought. Whether thats good value for a standard plate, or even if they have used anywhere to get a better valuation?

With no idea on the standard plate, we have no idea whether it could mean anything to anyone.

A little bit more info might help...

BMW 323i Coupe
It's N100 ORG. He described it as looking at it as N 1000 RG, I personally just think of it as Nioooooooooooooorg. It's a weird sound really.

Just seems weird to me that a standard plate could be worth £400?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I had an odd plate on my first car (an old Y reg - 1982)

I rang and got some valuations and eventually one of the companies advertised it for sale. It didn't cost me anything (they would have just taken a cut for selling it). The plate stayed on my car while it was advertised.

In the end it never sold....

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Did you click on the link I posted? I'm right.

Yes you're right they are being sold similar to that at the moment, but thats not to say some of the reg. no.s like that were't issued as 'regular' numbers from the DVLA in 1995 or when ever 'N' was the pre-fix. Dont you think? Especially as it would appear the plate may have been on from new. It isnt that special is it. ;)

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Sure, it looks like you do now. But is was that always the case?? The 'cherished number plate' market hasnt always been so popular. DVLA took a very long time to catch on to the private plate money machine.

BMW 323i Coupe
The car was registered in 1995 on a N reg plate, hence why the plate is what it is.

If you wanted a plate like those that you displayed in your link, sure it would be personalised, but it wasn't personalised when it came out.

Mini Cooper S
I have no concrete evidence to back up my point. You win. It may be a personal plate, it may not be. Who knows?

Alex, you don't know whether or not it's personalised. My old car had an X reg private plate and it was an X reg car.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Haha.. ;) Noble in defeat..

I used to have a Fiesta Super Sport years ago. Its reg from new, issued at random was MEL 1W. I later sold it to fund some new paint work.. ;)

Mini Cooper S
My dad told me how 30 odd years ago, you could basically spec your own plate if you were buying new at no extra cost. e.g. ABC 12.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Not so sure it was quite that easy fella. But yes, you could certainly choose your own number from a list of numbers given to the dealer from the then DVLC

Facelift R53 Cooper S
HPI check the car, that will tell you if it's personalised or not as it would tell you the original plate.

It does look like a private plate though.