ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plate removal

RenaultSport clio 182
Ok they look like they're just stuck on but I just need to confirm before I try and remove them. Any tips on removal of both front and rear would be very helpful as I'll be swapping my plates over tomorrow. It's a 54 182

cheers Joolz
btw apologies if this has been posted before, I did a search but couldn't find any other thread with info

106 GTi
Heat up with a hairdryer to remove the adhesive and slowly peel of. Clean up any residue left over with some Autoglym Tar Remover.

I have the same job to do in a weeks time!

RenaultSport clio 182
L11KE E said:
just put your back into it.
Lol, seems like hard work to me. Mine look like they've got the stuff the width of the plate, already tried giving them a yank but they don't seem to wanna budge. Just trying to avoid and bodywork damage really. Cheers for the info tho :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mine were riveted on, but if they're stuck, then I'd slip a sharp, thin knive in between the plate and bodywork (so you cut through the middle of the sticky strip, lengthways), and then use a hairdryer more accurately on the remaining sticky stuff.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If they are stuck on it'll be with double sided foam pads and they do stick like sh*t to the proverbial blanket .

Like r-jay says , heat the plate up a little bit first , they will come off even if they feel like they won't , just give give em a good pull .

Chances are the pads will still be stuck to the car and won't pull any paint off .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
toms_cup said:
mine are screwed on:dapprove:

tom

They're even easier to get off . Just the ones that are stuck on can be a ball ache sometimes .

MrBillyUK !

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
yeah know that lol, just a pain in the rear end having holes in the bodywork :dapprove:

Ive got a private plate and they put the screws right at the end of a standard length plate so any ideas of getting a shorter plate with normal letters is almost out of the window :mad:

Tom

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
I did this a few months back and it took me around 4 hours to get the plates off and clean all the crap off...

SO much residue was left behind.. Renault had stuck them on with industrial sticky pads! hehe, but now there velcro'd on and are easily swapped with my show plates :)

clio 182 black /gold
r-jay said:
Heat up with a hairdryer to remove the adhesive and slowly peel of. Clean up any residue left over with some Autoglym Tar Remover.

I have the same job to do in a weeks time!
Yes my back one was well stuck on. So i gently pulled it and heated it up.

when i got my private plate, i just yanked off the old ones that were stuck using sticky pads.

the sticky pads stayed on the car, and i was left with 1/2 a reg plate in my hand. The fucker snapped.... thats how strong those pads are!

Just done mine. The originals were stuck on with three full width strips of double sided tape!
Looked on internet and saw stories of running fishing line down back of plate and sawing away. Tried similar - no luck. Ended up pulling top right / bottom right of plate until felt some "give" each time - repeat about 60 times until having eased the buggers off. Finger tips on fire for hours after.
Is this plate gay or what?
th_IMG_0224.gif

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Deb182 said:
Aren't they all just screwed on? Mine don't look like they're stuck.

Depends on the dealer, some are screwd, some stuck, some riveted!

I asked for them to be stuck on rather than screwed as I was worried about them doing what Pete mentions.

RenaultSport clio 182
Just to update this thread on how I removed the little blighters. Ok the front was pretty simple as the bottom of the plate sits lower than the plastic bumper so it was easy to just pull the bottom of the plate on one side slowly tearing away the foam pads, once it was moving some gentle pressure meant it kept on tearing away slowly.

The rear plate was a right royal pain in the arse, I could just about pull it far enough away from the body work to get a squeezed finger behind. I ended up using a wooden food spatula :) on one side and again just gently easing the foam apart, there were two strips top to bottom on each end and one in the middle, nice!

Once the plate was removed I dabbed some white spirit on the remaining foam pads to loosen up the adhesive, once this had got to the sticky stuff it just peeled off the bumpers using a finger nail mostly. I reckon in total it took about 3/4 of an hour just to remove 2 number plates and clean up the bodywork!

106 GTi
Penfold1977 said:
mine are riveted on, which is rubbish! Not looking forward to having to get them off!
Any suggestions?

Carefully drilling the heads of the rivets is the best way.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah just drill into the middle of the rivet carefully with a drill piece slightly larger than the small hole in the middle. The back piece of rivet will fall out and the plate come off...

Five-O said:
Police Try to Fix Plate Problem
Police in Bradford have launched a new initiative intended to combat the increasing incidence of vehicle registration plate theft.
The idea, launched on Thursday 19 January in Bradford, is a simple one, but police hope it will make a real difference. The solution being introduced is to refit car number plates using special screws. Unlike normal number plate screws which can be undone with a standard screwdriver, the new ones require a special key. Several follow-up events are planned to supplement the progress made at the initial launch.
The launch gave attending motorists the chance to have the new fixings fitted free on the day by the police. The Bradford North Crime Reduction Bus was also there to offer members of the public information and advice on how to avoid becoming a victim of vehicle crime.
The scheme is the latest in a long line of pro-active initiatives by West Yorkshire Police to fight vehicle crime across the region.
On average, two registration plates are stolen from Bradford North area vehicles every day.

...or get them stuck on by RV Edinburgh
th_taped.gif

:approve: