ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not the usual sticky throttle

Right this is getting annoying. The throttle on my ph1 has been sticking of late, slowly getting worse.

Managed to get hold of another t/b and after having fitted it, its even worse.

After some swearing, ive realised with the engine off its really quite smooth, its impossible to make it visibly stick.

With the engine on though, its terrible, the throttle feels all-or-nothing and you can make it stick just turning the spindle by hand under the bonnet.

Is this just the vaccum created by the engine?

Is it worth spending more on yet another t/b and see if that does the same? or could there be another culprit?

Tom

PH1 V6
Ok the answer to this is as follows:

1. Take the trottlebody off the car
2. Use carb cleaner and spray excessively to remove ALL DIRT and GRIME from the butterfly spidle and spring. wipe clean with a rag to make sure all grease has been removed.
3. once this is done you need to re oil the spring and a small amount on the spindle (dont use too much).
4. Whilst oiling, really work it into the joins by turning the butterfly lots of times until nice and smooth :)

NOTE: use a proper lubricating oil NOT WD40 as this will just dry out.

PH1 V6
have you also tried replacing the throttle cable? could be worth doing that before buying a whole new throttlebody. Speak to Russ16v on here, i know he sells throttlebody's which are in good working order!

53 Clio's & counting
Post me whatever one you have spare mate, il see what i can do if it helps

Doubt its the tps, icv? Pull the icv pipe off the inlet elbow and block it with your thumb, make sure it stalls

Post me whatever one you have spare mate, il see what i can do if it helps

Doubt its the tps, icv? Pull the icv pipe off the inlet elbow and block it with your thumb, make sure it stalls

Had the pipe off the inlet breather and popped my thumb over the end. I could feel the suction but it did nothing to the revs. Should it have died?

53 Clio's & counting
Not the engine breather, the icv pipe mate, pull it off the inlet elbow and block it

with the t/b closed the car idles via the icv, if the pipe is blocked and it still is idling then you have an air leak

53 Clio's & counting
Just to check mate, you are pulling off and blocking the idle control valve pipe, the one that comes off the idle control valve and runs to the inlet elbow? Not the engine breather on the bottom of the t/b?

Pull it off the inlet elbow, and block it with your thumb, the car should stall

Mine sticks and you can get hold of the spindle and close it the last mm by hand when it sticks..... I thought why should I bother buying another 2nd hand throttle body with the risk of it being the same?

So...

IMG_0446.jpg

...Just like new, not happened since. Elastic bands ftw.

What i still dont understand is why the t/b is smooth as silk with the engine off, then jerky and sticky with it running.

Mines the same, never sticks at all when the engines off, once its on it will always stop 1/2mm from the spindle 'stop'

53 Clio's & counting
Because you have air trying to get in, so it will always feel different when the engine is running fella.

Whats the answer to my prev post matey? :)

If its the t/b im sure i can fix it, iv fixed every one iv done so far lol

53 Clio's & counting
Right, in that case you have an air leak, places to look:

T/b sticking
Leak from inlets somewhere
Rubber grommet on inlet (at the front by the t/b) has fallen off.
Air leak from T/b gasket

Cheers for the suggestions Russ.

Aluco is coming over monday for a set of wheels so me and him can have a poke round then.

On that note, does anyone know if the ICV's on fbw 182s can be interchanged with my cable ph1?

Wheres this rubber grommet on the inlet you speak off Russ mate?

53 Clio's & counting
All ph2's dont run an icv matey

There is a small rubber bung on the inlet, by the t/b, il see if i can find a pic, this fell off mine once and confused the hell outta me lol

53 Clio's & counting
DSC00594.jpg

Only pic of mine i can find quick, look at the t/b, look to the left and you will see a little rubber push on grommet, it has some red paint on in my pic. Check yours hasnt fallen off

53 Clio's & counting
Some do have a pipe mate, as long as its on there then thats ok.

Id lean towards it being the t/b or a leak from it.

RenaultSport 172
The pipe goes to the fuel pressure regulator. If it is a sticky TB Send it to Russ. I bought one from him and its perfect. :D

markus1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph1
Apologies for the massive bump, but I experience the same problem.
When engine off the tb is nice and smooth, once I turn the engine the tb is very hard to engage.
Someone knows what can cause it?