ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not starting after replacing starter

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've taken my starter off as it was only throwing out the dog gear , not spinning up. Turned out the live feed was corroded to the motor so sorted and bench tested.

Anyway now I've got it all back on, the immobiliser light wont go out so the engine won't turnover unless I turn the key immediately.

I've tried a few things like locking/unlocking the car, disconnect the battery for 10mins but nothing has worked as yet. Any ideas?

On the plus side I've fixed the starter!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Missing an earth somewhere.

Hmm possibly but it was fine until the starter jammed, I also tried putting a jump lead from battery negative to the top engine mount but still nothing. Not sure if it's relevant but my obdII reader will also not connect now

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm possibly but it was fine until the starter jammed, I also tried putting a jump lead from battery negative to the top engine mount but still nothing. Not sure if it's relevant but my obdII reader will also not connect now

Re-check all the wiring, it's got to be something that's not quite right.

PH2 172

As you probably had to move the loom about to get to the starter bolts, I`d go straight for this on the back of the box being snapped/corroded.

Instrument  earth located on the rear of the gearbox.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yes I agree with you both, I do have a dodgy earth strap from behind headlight to top of gearbox, the bolt has stripped the thread in the g.box by a previous owner. But it's testing for continuity.

PH2 172
Yes I agree with you both, I do have a dodgy earth strap from behind headlight to top of gearbox, the bolt has stripped the thread in the g.box by a previous owner. But it's testing for continuity.

You could 1 or 2 of 2 possible problems here.

The one I pictured broken is at the rear of the gear box, and is the earth for the cabin loom.

I am assuming the earth strap you referred to is the woven braided item, continuity with a meter does always mean it will work under load.

Put your jump lead on the engine, the mount is rubber mounted.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
You could 1 or 2 of 2 possible problems here.

The one I pictured broken is at the rear of the gear box, and is the earth for the cabin loom.

I am assuming the earth strap you referred to is the woven braided item, continuity with a meter does always mean it will work under load.

Put your jump lead on the engine, the mount is rubber mounted.

Will try that, possibly not tomorrow!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Found it! The earth on the back of the gearbox was barely making contact, the connector was snapped.

I know I need an 8mm connector but does it matter what I use as long as it makes good contact as I can't find a similar one online