ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not happy with cleaning results

Less
I dont know if I'm just becoming a little too picky with cleaning my car, or that I cant be bothered to.

I seem to become increasingly unsatisfied with the wy my car looks after a clean and a polish.

Using Megs Car shampoo and the SRP.
I tell you what gets me the most; I seem to have loads of dry SRP flakes when buffing the car. I have cut down the amount applied to a minimum but still end up with "debris" that takes me ages to get rid of!.

Any ideas what i can do to rekindle a dieing flame!

106 GTi
What are you using to apply the SRP and how long you working it for ?

Applied with a foam pad and worked until it is nearly gone and so you can hardly see any excess of it left on the paint and you should get no dusting.

The dust comes when you leave excess product sat on the paint.

no point me saying much after the master, but i had this, then switched to better MF cloths and problem solved!

MF = microfibre :)

Last edited:
  Less
i'm using halfords MF cloths.... i reckon i will change them.
And what would be a better product that SRP!!! most people on here seem to use it

cheers for the replies!

"Navy" N17 TWO
no point me saying much after the master, but i had this, then switched to better MF cloths and problem solved!

Should use the MF cloths anyway, good soft plush ones so to reduce the swirls on your paint :)

srp is the best IMO, the Autoglymm twins rule. some have moved on to a spray on sealent but i have stuck with EGP for ages and does me well.

the only thing that you can do that is any better is to get the car PCd, i have one hint hint ;)

seriously though, black cars are a nightmare unless you have OCD

obsessive car detailer ;)

jamie

CS Dungeon
Depends what you want from your product, personally I would much rather use a wax

Only really use SRP & EGP if its for its winter coat as it gives better protection & longevity over a natural wax

Something cheap and cheerful would be Collinite, P21S or Zymol Carbon

Should use the MF cloths anyway, good soft plush ones so to reduce the swirls on your paint :)

hate halfrauds though trev, always use decent ones now since i noticed the swirls, back in the day !!

sos missed you msn lad, hows tricks?

jamie

Depends what you want from your product, personally I would much rather use a wax

Only really use SRP & EGP if its for its winter coat as it gives better protection & longevity over a natural wax

presuming he wants a polish though? surely srp, egp/sealent, wax as per usual :)

CS Dungeon

presuming he wants a polish though? surely srp, egp/sealent, wax as per usual :)

Thats why I said it depends what he wants from the product, some just use it as LSP.

I only really use HD Cleanse, then a Zymol wax followed by field glaze on clients cars..............only get the AG out for cheapo valets and my van

106 GTi
The real advantage to using SRP is it gives a good base for sealants to bond to - of the shelf for most people it is a great product IMO. As a one step product for cleaning up paint by machine or hand aswell as laying down some protection of it's own SRP is spot on.

If you want to do any form of paintwork correction you need more abrasive and before a Carnuba wax alone skipping a selant a decent glaze is always a better option for looks.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I can't get used to applying EGP thin enough - always a b*llox to remove :(

I dont use any halfrauds cloths Jamie - they're not worthy of my car lol
Sonus ultra-plush ones from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk get my vote ;)

106 GTi
Put some EGP in a spray bottle, one spritz on a foam hand pad is easily enough to do a a normal sized panel. That should help you get it thinner.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Put some EGP in a spray bottle, one spritz on a foam hand pad is easily enough to do a a normal sized panel. That should help you get it thinner.

The man of the MF cloth saves the day again :hail:

106 GTi
cheers guys for all!
i will invest in some Sonus MF cloths and try this spray bottle trick

Spray bottle is for the EGP not the SRP.

Microfibers really will help much with the dust problem though, that is only caused by two things, to much product being applied or not working it long enough.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm stll not happy with the finish on mine after the last buff - can see swirls at night in the streetlights :(

Something I'm doing wrong, or maybe because I'm not using haolgen spots when polishing?

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
talking of getting car pc'd things, anyone know of anyone in my area (staffs) that can do it?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm stll not happy with the finish on mine after the last buff - can see swirls at night in the streetlights :(

Something I'm doing wrong, or maybe because I'm not using haolgen spots when polishing?

It has swirl marks. They are only really apparent under street lights or direct sunlight. Only real way to correct them would be by a PC machine polisher or similar. Its very very difficult to repair by hand. You could try some meguire scratch x (can be got from halfords) Try a panel and see how it looks :)

Mito Sportiva 135
Even with a good PC you will notice a few minor swirls in certain lights - I find the lights in petrol stations show up the most blemishes.

Basically if you own a black car and drive it (e.g. not Rich...;)) then you can't really expect it to look 100%. My car is getting on for 3 and a half now and even with meticulous care, e.g. washing/waxing most weeks and still being extremely careful when washing I have induced some swirls since my last polish about 6 months ago.

Will be polishing mine again soon though :D

106 GTi
Mine has marks in to. Fine line between having a decent amount of clearcoat and some defects. Still not used a cutting pad on it bar a few isolated areas as it will be staying in my ownership for a while.

Mine has marks in to. Fine line between having a decent amount of clearcoat and some defects. Still not used a cutting pad on it bar a few isolated areas as it will be staying in my ownership for a while.

I think its fair to say though that winnie is a stunning example and in comparison to joe blogs car care its a cut above.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah a well prepped car certainly stands out...my car hasn't been washed for almost two weeks and still looks the nuts. Even where my dad sprayed water all the up the side when he was cleaning his....:dead:

Like Rich says, if you polished your car every time you noticed a hairline mark then you would be eating through the clearcoat at a rate of knots. I don't even bother SRPing (or similar) mine anymore apart from after PCing. With a decent sealant you shouldn't really need to.

ph1 172 Black
:lolup: I keep telling my mate that who only uses SRP. He does it nearly every week. I said get some protection and wax but no he just keeps polishing. Hope the rust gets throught the paint before he does!

Less
all those stones chips in at the front! there is no way other than not to drive the car, to avoid them!

106 GTi
:lolup: I keep telling my mate that who only uses SRP. He does it nearly every week. I said get some protection and wax but no he just keeps polishing. Hope the rust gets throught the paint before he does!

SRP is mild enough to use every week without worrying, but is a waste of time and product! Luckily it should leave 30 days protection behind stand alone so it will be protected.

"Navy" N17 TWO

It has swirl marks. They are only really apparent under street lights or direct sunlight. Only real way to correct them would be by a PC machine polisher or similar. Its very very difficult to repair by hand. You could try some meguire scratch x (can be got from halfords) Try a panel and see how it looks :)

It was PC'd mate - with Menzerna IP P09 on a sfx-2 pad

I use scratch-x for bringing the paint back up after wetsanding touch-ups

106 GTi
If that is still not working then use it on 4 inch spot cutting pads in small areas.