ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nord VPN (or any others)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Can someone enlighten me. I have read up on these and, from what I can tell, it basically hides what you're viewing from your ISP.

My pal recommended Nord to me. He said it's as simple as paying £65 quid and you're covered for the year. However, do you have to pay that for each system you use in the house, or does it just "connect" to the IP address?

For example, if I wanted to stream TV at home, do I downloaded it to the firestick, or do I have to order and pay for it through the laptop and I can then only use it on the laptop?

Clio 172 (CUP)
Can someone enlighten me. I have read up on these and, from what I can tell, it basically hides what you're viewing from your ISP.

My pal recommended Nord to me. He said it's as simple as paying £65 quid and you're covered for the year. However, do you have to pay that for each system you use in the house, or does it just "connect" to the IP address?

For example, if I wanted to stream TV at home, do I downloaded it to the firestick, or do I have to order and pay for it through the laptop and I can then only use it on the laptop?

Yes, your outbound traffic from your house is encrypted, so your ISP cannot snoop and use this data against you or share your data insights with partners. You typically reappear out of a Nord VPN server elsewhere in the world at your choosing. So your source address at your home remains unknown to the rest of the Internet, hidden behind a Nord VPN and IP address .

Look on hotdealsuk for offers on this, don't pay full price, I recently purchased 3 years for £85 and then with some £65 quidco cash back (if memory serves) . You pay for an account that (I believe) you use on multiple devices, although I'm just putting it on my Asus router so everything going out of the house is covered.

I've haven't tried the fire stick setup separately so I can't really comment with confidence on that, I think some apps support a vpn client config directly, otherwise it's probably the same as for my phone... On my android phone I can just run the app, login to Nord and then all the traffic is encrypted until I disconnect it.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yes, your outbound traffic from your house is encrypted, so your ISP cannot snoop and use this data against you or share your data insights with partners. You typically reappear out of a Nord VPN server elsewhere in the world at your choosing. So your source address at your home remains unknown to the rest of the Internet, hidden behind a Nord VPN and IP address .

Look on hotdealsuk for offers on this, don't pay full price, I recently purchased 3 years for £85 and then with some £65 quidco cash back (if memory serves) . You pay for an account that (I believe) you use on multiple devices, although I'm just putting it on my Asus router so everything going out of the house is covered.

I've haven't tried the fire stick setup separately so I can't really comment with confidence on that, I think some apps support a vpn client config directly, otherwise it's probably the same as for my phone... On my android phone I can just run the app, login to Nord and then all the traffic is encrypted until I disconnect it.

That breaks it down much better for me. Thanks

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I’ve had good experience with ExpressVPN and believe they get pretty good reviews at a fairly competitive price.
similar features though, choose which country your traffic is routed via etc.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Remember that you’re putting your faith and trust in the VPN vendor as all your traffic, when enabled, is going through their network.

Most stuff being https/TLS nowadays means it’s not much of an issue but is something to be aware of.

Also your ISP or network you are connecting to could see you’re using a VPN if they were so inclined to know, easily done based on traffic analysis, but they shouldn’t be able to see the content of the traffic.

Nord were/are a good buy based on the offer mentioned above, think it worked out at £82 for 3 years and then there’s £20 odd quid cashback taking it down to £60something :)

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
How does it affect speed? Does it ever drop service?
You'll never get big speeds through VPN, 20-30mbps is the norm for me, fine for streaming etc.
As for dropping out, ExpressVPN has a function that blocks internet traffic if the service drops so you don't accidentally start browsing unprotected if the client dies or whatever.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'll never get big speeds through VPN, 20-30mbps is the norm for me, fine for streaming etc.
As for dropping out, ExpressVPN has a function that blocks internet traffic if the service drops so you don't accidentally start browsing unprotected if the client dies or whatever.

Might depend on the service, I get pretty much line max through VPN Tunnel.
Thats just abit over 40 meg for me.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Ive recently started using ExpressVPN and found it really painless and simple to use, apps are easy to install on pretty much any device and it works perfectly every time!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I've used Private Internet Access, Nord and SurfShark. Currently with SurfShark for 3 years as there were a huge discount going on.

You buy once and can use it on as many devices as you like. I've had some issues getting the US Netflix to work on firetv devices, but if you contact support they are really helpful and point you in the direction of a known working version of netflix to sideload to your stick.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
NordVPN was hacked, apparently they knew about it for a while and only just told everyone yesterday.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Got pwned back in 2018. That’s not good.

tbf it always made me laugh when they were banging on about Military grade encryption - Anyone with any experience of anything to do with the military knows that means 1970’s crap tech at I-want-2050’s-tech-today prices.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Beyond watching questionable p**n and buying knock off military hardware, what exactly is the reason for these?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Got pwned back in 2018. That’s not good.

tbf it always made me laugh when they were banging on about Military grade encryption - Anyone with any experience of anything to do with the military knows that means 1970’s crap tech at I-want-2050’s-tech-today prices.

FLOL. Not true.

Regarding military grade cyber kit, it’s light years ahead of anything you may think you know about. So that statement’s bullshit.

Regarding Nord etc, be aware using them can count against you if you need a security clearance for work and the reality is all you are doing is trusting another third party (other than your Internet provider) with your data.