ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nooby tyre question

As you may or may not know, on my project thread I recently changed all 4 alloys for the 182 alloys that came with tyres..
To me and my brother the tread depth on them were pretty decent!

However recently..
Ill try and describe this in the most noobish way possible.

When slowly turning corners, slowly as in like 3MPH leaving a petrol station or something I get that chronic SQUEAL, more of a screeching squeal noise?

Ive asked a few people on this..
Its either:

Stupidly hot weather and hot tyres on a flat smooth surface making it squeal.

OR my tyres are getting no traction as they could possibly be under the limit and illegal?

Now the tread depth seems alright (I personally think they need changing lol)
but the sides of the tyres are pretty much smoothed off?

Is it just time for new tyres?
Gonna cost me a lot -_-
No cup spoiler this month if so!

big boost cup
Tires are either road worthy or not. I think warm weather makes them squeal on smooth surfaces though

Passat
'To me and my brother the tread depth on them were pretty decent!'

'Now the tread depth seems alright (I personally think they need changing lol)'

I don't know how anyone is supposed to help you mate. They are either ok or they're not. Look at them and make your mind up.

No idea what brand they are, nothing that I know of anyone but my knowledge of tyres is just your typical racing game tyres haha.

Mhmm, might just have to take it to a garage and see what happens, If I need all 4 changing -_-'

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Look for blocks in the gaps between the tread, if the tread is taller than the blocks then they have a legal amount of tread.

If the tread is level with blocks or lower then they are illegal.

Brand of tyres will be printed on the sidewall.

Right.. Drivers wall:

IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

and then lol.. haven't looked at this in a while but this might actually be my problem: Passengers wall.. lol. Ive seen fatter Tic Tacs

IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

?

Tyres squeal on hard surfaces like petrol stations and car parks. Measure the tread but looking at those pics on my phone theyre either gone or very close to going

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Well one is Maxxis and one is Hankook.

That Hankook looks like it will be very close to the limit.
The maxxis almost looks like a winter tyre.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Another thing to add to the mix is possible tracking? Mine was a mile out at one point and it was really easy to make it squeal round right hand turns.

At that point I actually had 2 different wishbones on as well. It's an unlikely but thought it would be worth a suggestion.

Clio Sport 172.
Get all 4 changed for something decent like Pirelli's or Continentals and then you will have no concerns at all. Not cheap, but they will stop you disappearing into a field or somebody's brick wall!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Look for blocks in the gaps between the tread, if the tread is taller than the blocks then they have a legal amount of tread.

If the tread is level with blocks or lower then they are illegal.

Brand of tyres will be printed on the sidewall.

the blocks (tdi-tread wear indicators) in the groves of the tread. they are at 2mm so would be still legal if level 1.6mm is the minimum over the centre 3/4.

Depends on the compound of the tyre to if it will squeal as well, I know people with evos with toyo proxy R888s that squeal just as bad as my cheap tyres on my 182, my mate paid for cheap tyres on his type R and they don't !

As long as it drives okay the treads are legal which has been discribed above how to check, I wouldn't worry with a little squeal

Get all 4 changed for something decent like Pirelli's or Continentals and then you will have no concerns at all. Not cheap, but they will stop you disappearing into a field or somebody's brick wall!

Nothing wrong with the hankook v12 evo's either they are a decent for the money.
I've ran them for 2 and a half years, fronts last me 1 year and rears lasted nearly two years.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Slightly related, my neighbour is currently rocking a full set of winters. It's 22°C+ at the moment. Weird.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Slightly related, my neighbour is currently rocking a full set of winters. It's 22°C+ at the moment. Weird.

I had to put my 2 winters on the front at the weekend when I ruined a semi slick :( Horrible in this heat lol. Can't wait to be back on a set of 4 semi slicks.

I know people who runs winters all year round though.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
the blocks (tdi-tread wear indicators) in the groves of the tread. they are at 2mm so would be still legal if level 1.6mm is the minimum over the centre 3/4.

I didn't think people ran tyres that low on tread so I just class tread markers as illegal ;)