ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob wiring question (with pics)

mx5
Hi guys, dont know my arse from my elbow when it comes to wiring of a sub. My old sub was wired in when I had my headunit changed. That sub got stolen a few months ago and I have a CBR10 now.

The wiring is completely different (screws rather than proper connectors) and im unsure which wires go where etc.

Here is the old amp:

MT12ASX_amp.jpg

Here is the amp that I have now:
1.jpg

and here are the wires I was left with:

2.jpg

The connector on the left has three wires going into it (pink, black and red) which Im guessing go into the screw bits but really not sure.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you need to run a bigger power cable than that!!

youll need a multi meter to find out what wires what, usually, red is power, and goes to the battery,

black is earth and goes to the isofix bar mounting bolt, and a blue (pink in your case by the looks of things) one that goes to the headunit that puts a small voltage to the amp telling it to turn on called remote wire.

however the red wire you have there is far too small, running an amp that size through it would case it to heat up to the point of melting the rubber around and causing damage.

but a 4awg wiring kit, and pull the rest of the wiring out tbh. (apart from the RCA (phono) leads)
you could keep the pink wire and run it to the remote, but the rest needs to go im afraid.

also, that black wire that looks like a phone line can only be used with the previous amp, not the new one unfort.

The connections look a bit different! Not sure what the connectors used for your old sub are, Im sure someone will know though.

Normally, as you'll need on your new sub, you have
- The RCA leads going to the headunit.
- A single thin, Remote wire (usually blue)
- Positive power cable (red) going to the battery
- A Negative ground cable (brown) attached to some metal on the vehicle chassis.

mx5
Ok, i stripped back the electrical tape to see what was there and this is it.
The darker blue cable says power cable on it. The lighter one is the RCAs, still no idea what silver, pink and black are for?

Any help? Ideally Id not like to have to rip out the current wiring as Id have to find someone to re do it all or pay through the teeth to get it fitted properly.

3.jpg

Thanks people

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
running that wire is possible,

however, the sub will cut out the second the voltage drops below a certain point,
which with such small wire, will be very often because the amp is so juicy.

if it doesnt cut out, it will create a large armount of heat, and you will risk a fire.
it will most probs create a lot of heat anyway so i really would recommend using that wire.

but if you HAVE to (and dont blame me if it goes up in smoke) cut the plug off the end, and bound both the red wires together and screw it into the +12v plug,

take the two blacks, bound them together and screw them into the GRND plug,

take the pink and screw it into the remote plug.

put the RCA's into the input plugs,

and bin/sell the black telephone wire because it wont work with that amp.

mx5
Ah ok fair enough, i thought you just meant the red wires were too small. Would it make a difference if I managed to connect it straight from the blue bit of power wire or is that too small too?

Cheers for the help man, sorry for so many questions!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ooh didnt pay much attenetion to the second pic,

yes, you could well run it like that,
cut the red wire back to the blue,
and the black wire back to the silver

it will still heat up, because that looks like 8 awg
but shouldnt be to too of a dangerous level.

mx5
woo good news, ill give that a go and see if i can get it to work, cheers for all the help man, ill let you know how i get on.

TzC

Golf MK4
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I've just bought the exact same sub & amp as the original one OP had, anybody have any clue how to wire it as I'm opposite of OP in that I only know how to wire an amp with screws, if that makes sense :p