ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Starting problem - Finally Solved

Renault Clio 172
just thought i would post this in case it helps some people out

my clio 172 has had problems for months not starting, i have done everything possible to try and sort it

new battery, new terminals, new tdc and loom, starter motor, the list go's on.

anyway today it just would not start all day, i was about to give up, when i asked my mate to wiggle the negavitve terminal whilst i was in the car, all the lights went out and on again. um

i decided to hook a jump lead to the negative terminal(which is new) and the other end to some metal on the car. hey presto it started.

it turns out that the point it earths to on the car was a bit oxidised and dirty, cleaned it up and it started, im pretty sure this has been the problem all along.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Im having the same problem - changed a radiator, removed negative terminal on it own (bit worried about the computer) and went to start it engaged and then nothing - now I either get a click (especially if I roll the car in third - unengage the motor) or I get the dash lights dimming as though Ive got an earth leak. Got 11.6 volts at the battery not sure the amps at the engine though.

Will tidy up the terminal Sunday (after the Grand Prix) and let you know how i get on.

great advice thanks

did you remove the starter yourself?

172 Race Car
just thought i would post this in case it helps some people out

my clio 172 has had problems for months not starting, i have done everything possible to try and sort it

new battery, new terminals, new tdc and loom, starter motor, the list go's on.

anyway today it just would not start all day, i was about to give up, when i asked my mate to wiggle the negavitve terminal whilst i was in the car, all the lights went out and on again. um

i decided to hook a jump lead to the negative terminal(which is new) and the other end to some metal on the car. hey presto it started.

it turns out that the point it earths to on the car was a bit oxidised and dirty, cleaned it up and it started, im pretty sure this has been the problem all along.

so let me get this right.... u changed the starter, battery, tdc sensor, loom and nameless other parts WITHOUT doing a simple earth check, spending/wasting potnetialy hundreds of pounds in the process? :eek:

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Im having the same problem - changed a radiator, removed negative terminal on it own (bit worried about the computer) and went to start it engaged and then nothing - now I either get a click (especially if I roll the car in third - unengage the motor) or I get the dash lights dimming as though Ive got an earth leak. Got 11.6 volts at the battery not sure the amps at the engine though.

Will tidy up the terminal Sunday (after the Grand Prix) and let you know how i get on.

great advice thanks

did you remove the starter yourself?

I checked out the battery voltage and it came out good at 12.46 volts. Connected up a seperate negative to to the engine. Still nothing. Checked voltage during cranking and it was 2 volts.

Symptons were - Key turned and the warning lights went dull like a short. Following that the warning lights flashed and some relays were buzzing...

Strangest thing is that the battery was perfect and then dead - never known anything like it before. Weird...

Runs perfect with a new battery. Thanks that it aint the computer