ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non genuine drive shafts ?

172 cup
Anyone had any exsperience with these I have a 172 cup an need a passenger side shaft there really exspensive from renualt but I appreciate non genuine is normally pants what's your thoughts ? Is there any other alternative ?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Like dan said, Heard so many bad things about aftermarket driveshafts.

With the Exhange from renault you are around £120+vat and it comes as a whole unit.

SQ5
I bet it doesn't fit, they never do. And it's usually when you've done your gearbox side and drained oil and refilled gearbox. Then you have to take it all apart because it's too short.

172 cup
Like dan said, Heard so many bad things about aftermarket driveshafts.

With the Exhange from renault you are around £120+vat and it comes as a whole unit.
I've spoke to the renualt trader on here an he doesn't seem to be able to do an exchange

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I've spoke to the renualt trader on here an he doesn't seem to be able to do an exchange

Walk into your local dealer, give him your Reg / chassis and ask to get an exchange driveshaft priced up and i bet you get one.

I got both mine replaced for the trophy no problems.

172 cup
I've just had both shafts reconditioned on my cup. The local parts place organised it, they sent them to AMK automotive components. They were away for about 7days so it depends if you can do without your car? I had my gearbox out to be rebuilt so was off the road anyway. I paid £120 each. Done around 200 miles so far and they've been fine.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Renault won't do an exchange on the 172 Cup as they are a different length. The 172 yes they will do and the 182 but the boots tend to be rubber which isn't ideal on these cars.

Just bite the bullet and buy genuine or look for a good used shaft from Renparts

172 cup
Renault won't do an exchange on the 172 Cup as they are a different length. The 172 yes they will do and the 182 but the boots tend to be rubber which isn't ideal on these cars.

Just bite the bullet and buy genuine or look for a good used shaft from Renparts

Yeah I'll have to I think cheers

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I have those JnR 172 shafts on my dci for the wide track
not gave me any trouble in 50k miles.

But then again , I haven't driven a sport with those shafts so can't comment

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
J&R are a good company. Used loads of bits from them and they are all still top notch years later. Warranty as well

Raz, those shafts have the same torque put through them as a sport!

SQ5
Most motor factors are great for parts, but 172 driveshafts they are not.

Every different variant has a different length, they will usually only supply one length. Go figure

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Most motor factors are great for parts, but 172 driveshafts they are not.

Every different variant has a different length, they will usually only supply one length. Go figure
You keep spouting that the shafts J&R sell are Crap? Why is this? have you every tried to fit one? I just had one arrive, it seems Ok and looks good quality.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Also You all keep saying "They are too short, blah blah" Yet i am unable to find a post on the forum from a person who has fit one saying its too short?.... or that its crap...

SQ5
You keep spouting that the shafts J&R sell are Crap? Why is this? have you every tried to fit one? I just had one arrive, it seems Ok and looks good quality.

I have yes, from a motor factors, it didn't fit.

It was too short. Mine looked ok and good quality but was too short.

Get back to me when you try fitting it, after you've drained and filled your gearbox and the wheel can be moved back and forth.

Got to say that I've had a motor factor supplied shaft for my 172 that was absolutely fine. Just make sure you count the number of teeth on the one you take off (assuming it's an ABS car). It's stood up to track use so far as well. No issue with the length.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I have yes, from a motor factors, it didn't fit.

It was too short. Mine looked ok and good quality but was too short.

Get back to me when you try fitting it, after you've drained and filled your gearbox and the wheel can be moved back and forth.

Its the drivers side so no oil needs to come out :p

SQ5
You may find it fits your car as the one the motor factor makes fit yours but only your model. Remember they are different for ph1, ph2, cup, 182, 182 cup etc... There's about 5 different lengths of shaft and they do one to fit all, go figure.