ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy Air Intake?

182 (Conversion)
Hi guys, had my 182 for a few days now and loving it. I used to have an early 172 a few years back so have a little experience with these.

Anyway, I've been searching and reading loads but feel a new topic may be needed to help answer my question. The car came with a Pipercross open air intake, which is very noisy. It's like clicky/tappy almost like if you stuck a playing card in a desk fan. I'm pretty sure it's nothing else but wondered if this would be the culprit? (it's also a decat with the RS192 exhaust)

It sounds rubbish IMO like a stream engine or something, and can only be getting heat soak.

Anyone else changed to an open intake and had a similar noise?

loose the Pipercross and put the standard back on minus acoustic valve (for a bit of noise) with a drop in panel filter and the jobs a good'un :)

182 (Conversion)
Nice and quick reply...thanks.

So it's common for them to sound so ticky? Car didn't come with the original so I'll have to try to source one from somewhere....

03 clio 172
I had a viper kit and the boys at JMS told me to bin it and use a panel filter in the original airbox. It made a hell of a difference, the car is now soo much smoother and has more poke than it had before!

Nice and quick reply...thanks.

So it's common for them to sound so ticky? Car didn't come with the original so I'll have to try to source one from somewhere....

Ticking won't be the intake itselft as there is no moving parts, (unless it is knocking on the battery/ecu frame.) It could be lots of things but unless it is getting increasingly worse I wouldn't worry about it as all the RS engines are 'ticky' especially when cold. A recording of the sound could help if you can get one.

Look in the car parts for sale section - often come up for sale - £20-30 with all pipework.

Standard box is a good design, nearly every induction kit is detrimental to the clios.

182 (Conversion)
Cheers guys, I'll keep an ear on it to see if it gets worse and look for a standard box.

Would this still have the carbon canister with the intake being changed or am I barking up the wrong tree?

wrong tree ;)

The carbon canister is on the other side of the engine in front of the wheel / behind the fog light. (incidentally it makes a ticking noise - buts it comes from the drivers side front wheel arch intermittently.)

You may have had the acoustic valve removed though? Its a hard plastic tube with a butterfly valve in it - down by the horn, in front of the passenger wheel - behind the passenger fog light. The side CAF from the standard box fits into it.

182 (Conversion)
Arhh yea I get you...coming from Honda slightly different terminology, we called the acoustic valve a resonator. Thanks