ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
..thats all i can describe it as, sounds like a clunk from the front suspension somewhere... see below:

• the whole set-up has been spanner checked
  • the car recently went through an MOT without any issues
  • the car has had new Track rods, Track rod ends
  • the noise happens when just moving away or stopping (slow speeds) or when rotating the steering.
  • the car has had 2 new engine mounts (the upper gearbox and lower dogbone), the third looks fine however there is a fair bit of movement back through the gearstick.
i thought it sounded like top mounts but as said, they are tight, what does anyone else think, upper OSF engine mount?

172cup
If there's an engine or gearbox mount you haven't done I'd change that if there all new it might be the lower arm

derv biege barge
It might be where the passenger side driveshaft roller bearing goes into the gearbox, I have a similar noise and over the last year or so replaced everything including the driveshaft.

When I changed the driveshaft I noticed where the roller bearing goes into the gearbox was making a clunk when I pulled back and forth on it.

Drives fine so gonna leave it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If there's an engine or gearbox mount you haven't done I'd change that if there all new it might be the lower arm

It might be where the passenger side driveshaft roller bearing goes into the gearbox, I have a similar noise and over the last year or so replaced everything including the driveshaft.

When I changed the driveshaft I noticed where the roller bearing goes into the gearbox was making a clunk when I pulled back and forth on it.

what i didn't mention was that recently ALL the running gear was changed, brakes, suspension, driveshafts etc etc etc, prior to this there was no noise / clonking etc etc etc on mine or the donor car so i doubt its the lower arm, however that does sound interesting about the driveshaft bearing

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i had the wheels off this weekend and there is some lateral movement in this as you said, again as you say drives fine, just more annoying if anything changing the driveshaft didn't rectify it for you then?

derv biege barge
No changing driveshaft did not fix rattle.

I changed driveshaft mainly cos the cheap boot repair kits installed tend to keep splitting after a few months. So far so good with the new driveshaft.