ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise reduction: Swap out De-Cat OR get a center silencer?

Clio 182
Hi people,

im a little strapped for funds but want to make my car a little quiter.

I currenlty have the K-tec Supersport Exhaust (version without the center silencer) and also decat.

I have the funds to swap out one so my question is which one will give the most noise reduction?

Cheers

Impreza Wagon
Well your going to need a CAT for an MOT at some point so could it be wise to ditch the decat?

I removed the decat from my RS192 system and it made a big difference, no experience of centre silencers though I'm afraid.

williams and trophy
just fitted rs192 to the trophy. sounds like a wet fart tbh. im wondering if the ctr section of the ktec, non silenced, will fit. its loads quieter now, an i dont fukkin like it.

320d
just fitted rs192 to the trophy. sounds like a wet fart tbh. im wondering if the ctr section of the ktec, non silenced, will fit. its loads quieter now, an i dont fukkin like it.

Just get the centre section cut out at an exhaust fabricators?

LY 182
I have a rs192 on my 182 also.. Hated it with the decat.. Loud annoying wet fart.. Put the cat back on it and it's just right! Much quieter with just a bit of an exhaust note.

williams and trophy
Just get the centre section cut out at an exhaust fabricators?

would rather sell it and go to powerflow tbh. will have a look tomoro to see if i can get the ktec unsilenced ctr section to fit if weathers ok

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Putting a Cat back in will give you less rasp and will mean MOT's are less of a worry,
might be costly to purchase a cat but you will have some value in the selling of the decat.

centre silencer will quiet it down more as thats their main function.

personally i plan to go with 2 silencers and a decat in my build, but im a sucker for a bit of rasp! lol

Clio 182
Cheers people, i think i will go for a CAT. i was just worried that replacing the CAT wont really make a difference in the noise reduction.

Clio 172 Phase 1
Changed my exhaust the other day from a cat with straight through centre pipe, to de-catted with a silenced centre pipe, and I must say it sounds great, a lot quieter when driving normal but when opening it up gives a lot better sound and a rasp.

With the cat in place and the straight through pipe the exhaust just seemed to drone constant, but admittedly every exhaust is going to be different, especially when mine was custom.

Obviously the ballache will be MOT time so I can understand wanting to leave the cat in, either way it will quieten it down :)