ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No longer a 172 owner, bring on the 197 (caution: happy new owner content)

BHP that is :)

IMG_3796.gif

IMG_3807.gif

IMG_3806.gif

IMG_3811.gif

Best change I ever made to my 172... Won't be to everyone's taste on here but I like it. Some of you know I've had problems with my 172 and the dealer messing up every time they tried to fix it. In the end it put my off the car big time, I was never going to be happy with it, so the best thing I could've done was get rid of it.

I'm now the happy owner of this March 05 CTR from a Honda dealership:
Milano Red
Only 6k miles
A/c, etc.
Immaculate
Totally standard

Very happy :) . Just need the feckin rain to stop then I'll go for a drive (not tonight, plan is for a few :drunk: )

And yes, the reg plate came with it (and no, it's not the CTR used by the press, despite the plate - it was R200 BYE on the 5th Gear test v's the 182). Dunno what I'm going to do with my own private plate.

Comments welcomed!
Ally

Cheers for the comments folks, I know CTRs are a desired taste in these parts...

Sorry for the pish photos but it's pitch black and lashing it down outside (Scotland = sideways rain). Plus I just drove 50 miles back from the dealership in right s**tty rainy conditions so it ain't sparkling no more.

Beef-Mc: bloody hope it's problem free, just remember it ain't a Renault ;) ***touch wood***. Nah, I had more than my fair share of problems with my 172, I know I was just seriously unlucky and that most are perfectly OK. I think it was the right decision to get rid of it TBH...

Ally

can we ban him please, this thread offends me
Sorry Fred, had to be done, my 172 had it's problems. And Big Iain's taking enough bans for all north-of-the-border members without me joining in lol.

Couldnt believe it when I saw the title but the pics explained it all, cant say Im surprised! Looks good
:rasp: Aye no chance was it going to be a Clio 197, wasn't even close to being on my radar unsurprisingly. Did think some members might be interested in buying my 172 but I don't think that would've been the best idea...

SLK 350
I really couldn't live with the steering, especially not after driving a 172, my dad's just felt numb and dull when I drove his.

They look nice enough, and hopefully you'll have less problems. One things for sure, the dealer network is second to none. Just not my thing...

All best.

A well built VW
Ah another member to the scottish exclionowcivicsport brigade

Looks nice and the title did have me ready for a "pussy" amd "WTF" comments but all is redeemed , i know how you feel with the dealer as you know its why my meggy went and if i could have managed with only 3 doors i would have went for one of these too....Enjoy

Cheers for the comments folks, well chuffed with it :). Driven a few miles today, met up with Iain for a bit of trading, cheers mate.

First impressions:
- ride is firmer but less harsh (if that's possible) than the 172
- CTR more refined
- interior no contest I'm afraid, a much nicer place to be IMO
- bloody good fun, just as torquey as a 172 IMO but with a little kick when you reach the 6k...
- awesome noise it makes as the revs pick up
- steering lighter, maybe not as much feel as the Clio but still bloody excellent (IMO the duff steering comments aren't fully deserved - yeah it's maybe not as good as the Clio's but it's by no means duff, it's still good)
- not having traction control is gonna be fun :eek:

Only my first impressions. Not had the confidence to push it so far in these conditions but the noise/experience when you hit the VTEC zone is unreal, like nothing I've driven before - combination of the noise and the little burst of acceleration :evil:

Carbon Copy - just as well the gearstick is nearer the wheel and the change so sweet :)

Zorba - LOL at the pink comments, hoping Honda red doesn't suffer the same as older Ford reds did :eek:

Shaun - cheers mate, you know my feelings about buying another Renault lol. Is yours a 5-dr 2.0L? 150bhp?

Ally

A well built VW
Nah only running a 1.6 but it does for what i need really for the time being. Wait til you get used to the gearstick and then get in another car without it , its sooo weird , makes you wonder why all gearstick aren't in the same place seems so natural

You do know the black ones are faster !!!! Oh and start doing overtime if you wanna start modding it aint cheap

H22A7 Accord Type R
Christ Ally...........welcome to the post-clio club mate!!! :D see u at a Scottish Cliosport meet in the better weather?? ;)

badge.jpg

cock mobile.
Christ Ally...........welcome to the post-clio club mate!!! :D see u at a Scottish Cliosport meet in the better weather?? ;)

badge.jpg

Hows the ATR treating you mate?

I'm possibly toying with idea of getting one simply because I miss the LSD.

Cheers :)

Definate about the meets, I'll come along and hassl the clios (aye right, I'm a pish driver and happy to admit it :D). I saw you'd got the Accord, very nice and a lot more interesting and better car than people give them credit for. Too big for me though, I think the Civic will be expensive enough on fuel lol!

H22A7 Accord Type R
the ATR is going sweet mate!! need to take off my EGR plate sometime soon as they get a soot build up, cleaning it makes a great difference i am told.

The LSD is truly awesome and im surprised that the civic doesnt have one......the car just DOES NOT understeer! it hauls you out of bends like i cannot believe for a FWD car - even in the wet.

It is expensive to run, fuel wise and when it needs fixing, but its not my daily driver, so i dont mind the fuel costs when i go out to give her some.

Sh33n.......try to get a drive of one mate, they grip much better than the civic i would say, and the steering feel is amazing - i bought mine off a guy who had just bought a Boxter S, and he told me the steering in the Accord is better than his porsche! You really can feel everything, and, on a twisty road, it feels much smaller than it is! even when pushed to the limits, its solid and communicative - it hasnt scared me..........yet.

p.s. VTEC is better than i-vtec ;) much more of a step when you hit the banzai zone! :D

cock mobile.
the ATR is going sweet mate!! need to take off my EGR plate sometime soon as they get a soot build up, cleaning it makes a great difference i am told.

The LSD is truly awesome and im surprised that the civic doesnt have one......the car just DOES NOT understeer! it hauls you out of bends like i cannot believe for a FWD car - even in the wet.

It is expensive to run, fuel wise and when it needs fixing, but its not my daily driver, so i dont mind the fuel costs when i go out to give her some.

Sh33n.......try to get a drive of one mate, they grip much better than the civic i would say, and the steering feel is amazing - i bought mine off a guy who had just bought a Boxter S, and he told me the steering in the Accord is better than his porsche! You really can feel everything, and, on a twisty road, it feels much smaller than it is! even when pushed to the limits, its solid and communicative - it hasnt scared me..........yet.

p.s. VTEC is better than i-vtec ;) much more of a step when you hit the banzai zone! :D

Sounds very good mate, you said expensive when needs fixing what's gone wrong?

Are they chain or belt driven?

H22A7 Accord Type R
well i had the dreaded 5th gear synchro fault - you cant select reverse.....so i got the box fixed, but also a new clutch fitted, cost me £600 cash. The clutch alone was £300 though. i have also had an oil leak, so got that done and a new timing belt too - £150 cash (ive got a good contact - head mechanic at my local honda)...since then she has been fine.

if you need ANY info, go to www.atr.org.uk - the guys there know just about everything!! :D

cock mobile.
well i had the dreaded 5th gear synchro fault - you cant select reverse.....so i got the box fixed, but also a new clutch fitted, cost me £600 cash. The clutch alone was £300 though. i have also had an oil leak, so got that done and a new timing belt too - £150 cash (ive got a good contact - head mechanic at my local honda)...since then she has been fine.

if you need ANY info, go to www.atr.org.uk - the guys there know just about everything!! :D

Hmm well that's just put me off a bit lol.

Will have a gander over on that atr forum as well, cheers.

H22A7 Accord Type R
dont be soft, just find one thats already had the synchro fix and full history and your fine..........tis a Honda!!! lo