ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Claims Bonus Question

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Last year just after renewal my wife went into the back of someone, at this point i had 7 years no claims.
The lady that she hit wanted to go through the insurance which was fine, and thats what we did. She was claiming for a new rear bumper on a 2005 Honda Jazz. We gave all the insurance details and confirmed with my insurance company what happened etc. That was the last we heard about it.

Ive just got my renewal through today and my NCB has increased to 8 years and my premium has dropped, when i was expecting to lose 2 years NCB. Is this a mistake that the insurance company have made or does it mean that the claim never went through or something?

Thanks.
Paul.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Last year just after renewal my wife went into the back of someone, at this point i had 7 years no claims.
The lady that she hit wanted to go through the insurance which was fine, and thats what we did. She was claiming for a new rear bumper on a 2005 Honda Jazz. We gave all the insurance details and confirmed with my insurance company what happened etc. That was the last we heard about it.

Ive just got my renewal through today and my NCB has increased to 8 years and my premium has dropped, when i was expecting to lose 2 years NCB. Is this a mistake that the insurance company have made or does it mean that the claim never went through or something?

Thanks.
Paul.

Your wife crashed, why would this affect your insurance?

Your renewal is now proof of your 8 years no claims so if that's what they say you have that's what you have.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
She was a named driver on my policy.

I dont think this will affect you though. For instance, my parents are on my policy, and their excess is different to mine if they crash my car.

On that note, did you have to pay an excess? If it was an 'at fault' incident, you should have. No excess paid = no claim

We didn't pay any excess, i thought you only pay excess if you are claiming for damage on your own car. I didn't think excess applied to third party claims.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
We didn't pay any excess, i thought you only pay excess if you are claiming for damage on your own car. I didn't think excess applied to third party claims.

This is true. No excess for the 3rd party. Now are you sure the TP has claimed?

I sent off claim forms outlining what happened and what the damage was to their car. That was the last i heard about it.

Little update to this. Received a letter today from Albany assistance, saying they have been instructed by their client to pursue the claim. 11 months after the incident! I don't know what is going on with it, I can't fathom why she contacted my insurance, I sent off all correspondence, but the claim never went through? I spoke to my insurance today, and he also said it's very strange to receive this letter, I need to speak to existing claims department which aren't open until Monday.

I would say she had her car fixed via her own comp insurance and through some clerical error her insurrer did not claim off yours. They now have and your no claims will get adjusted as will your premium.

I had one where a claim overlapped renewal because it took so long to settle.

Another question , why have you not got your 7 years protected anyway so you dont loose them in the event of a claim ?

I dont think this will affect you though. For instance, my parents are on my policy, and their excess is different to mine if they crash my car.

On that note, did you have to pay an excess? If it was an 'at fault' incident, you should have. No excess paid = no claim

Thete excess is different bevause they are deemed a different risk , they crash you WILL loose your no claims unless its protected on your policy.

What if my renewal goes through before this claim is settled? Will the 8 years still stand and then get adjusted for next years renewel? Oh I will be protecting them from now on. Is it 2 years that I will lose?

What if my renewal goes through before this claim is settled? Will the 8 years still stand and then get adjusted for next years renewel? Oh I will be protecting them from now on. Is it 2 years that I will lose?

Being honest , and when insurance is concerned there should be no doubt. You should inform your insurer and make sure they know at the time they quoted you the full facts were not known.

Speak to them and make sure they know everything , which at renewal you should have declared amyway as you knew the accident had happened .

You need to cover your arse should the worst happen this year

They do know about it as they were already contacted by the lady or her insurance as they sent me claim forms. I also think it's strange as Albany Assistance is a claims management company and they have contacted me directly, as opposed to contacting my insurance company.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is there really any point to protecting ncb? I do, but thinking about it, as soon as you say you've claimed previously they bum you.